Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sieggy

[java] Java to C++ graphics engine?

Hello folks, any help with this idea would be appreciated and thanks ahead of time! I''m new to the Java arena and I currently have an 3d isometric engine I wrote in C++ using Direct3d. I have it plugged into a world editor that has been a continuing side project of mine. I''d love convert the editor to Java from its current MFC incarnation but I''m not quite sure to how talk to a DirectX engine. I''d rather not convert the engine itself since I''d lose the speed and lower level interface to offers to my graphics card. However it would be a dream to do my editor UI itself in Java but retain the C++ engine. Any ideas on how I could do this or thoughts on the subject? Thanks Again! Sieggy

Hi Sieggy!

I think there is a Java to DirectX mapping library, that uses JNI to access DirectX. However, I don´t remember the name or where it could be found. If you use this the drawing should be rather fast, only loosing performance when going from Java to DirectX.

Regards
Johan

you should look at http://www.gamedev.net/hosted/javanerd... it''s the best 2D engine i''ve ever seen... and it''s very powerfull!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Java should neither be seen nor heard.

M$''s jview and SDK have support for directX. Search their site for information on thier JDK. Personally I''de recommend using Java2d support, but to eash his own.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sun''s say in this:

Q. I want to use OpenGL/Direct3D directly, is there a way to do that?

A. There is currently no way to access OpenGL or Direct3D directly through the Java 3D API.

Has anyone done 3d engine + editor in java3D???? I might switch to java since later with 2-3Ghz cpus frame rate might improve where 3D gaming will be acceptable. I like the free java sdk and also the swing lib. It''s quite snappy on 128mb ram + 1ghz cpu. I just don''t want to move to C# or other ms oses. I trully want platform independence or write code once run anywhere.

Wow, been a few days since I''ve checked the board and thanks for the thoughts. Someone else in another thread had mentioned Java3d and I think I''m going to give it a try. My big issue is that I''m a business programmer by day and pretty much all new stuff we are doing is in Java. I''d love to have my game coding be able to translate in skills at work at well. Game dev was how I learned C++ and hopefully I''ll be able to repeat it with Java as well. Java3d, while far from a performance gem at this stage, still looks to have a possibility in the future.

Thanks again,

Sieggy

Try JavaGaming discussion forum. Some good questions on there plus a team who are making massively multiplayer online rpg game in Java3D. Do search on avatar if you can (link to pics is there too).