Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flipping sprites

This topic is 6015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m doing a small game and I need my sprites to have 32 directions of movement but I dont want to draw each sprite separately. I was planning to draw the 8 possible positions from 0 - 90 degrees and flip the sprite either horizontally or vertically to get the full range of 32 directions at runtime. My problem is I dont know if I can get the Direct Draw Blitter to flip the sprite before it draws it to the target surface. Can anyone tell me if there is something I can do with the blitter to flip a bitmap horizontally or vertically or will I have to do it myself? Thanks, -F

if you're going to be storing all 32 sprites in system memory at the same time, why not just rotate them bofore you load them? rotating them is pretty easy in most graphics editors. (even in Paint which comes with Windows)

HHSDrum@yahoo.com

Edited by - Julio on June 26, 2001 1:13:55 PM

If you''re using DX 7:

DDBLTFX ddb;
ZeroMemory(&ddb, sizeof(DDBLTFX));
ddb.dwDDFX = DDBLTFX_MIRRORLEFTRIGHT; // for horizontal flip
ddb.dwDDFX = DDBLTFX_MIRRORUPDOWN; // for vertical flip
//
HRESULT Blt(
LPRECT lpDestRect,
LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 lpDDSrcSurface,
LPRECT lpSrcRect,
DWORD dwFlags,
LPDDBLTFX lpDDBltFx // <<<---- Use here
);

If you''re using DX 8 sprite, then just flip the left/right and top/bottom variables in the source rectangle structure of ID3DXSprite::Draw.

Jim

Thanks guys,
that''s exaclty what I was looking for. I''m going to draw a bitmap of 16 directions from 0-90 degrees and load that onto a surface then flip it as necessary when I Blt the sprite to the screen.

Cheers,

F