Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future of RPGs - update

This topic is 6003 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK, I haven''t been able to ftp into GDNet to upload this, but the Beta version is available here as a Web browsable version only. For the moment that will be all that is available. There will be a zip version to be uploaded soon, and I hope to get the Word versions back. *dwarfsoft curses disk partitioning problems for losing all the word versions*... Anyway, hope you like -Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche

Yeees! At last!
Thanks Dwarfsoft!

Hm, maybe I'll live up to see my name somewhere inside that document... Or maybe not. Anyways, aside from the few not working links, it is a great update!

[edit]I check it again from my place, it looked ok. I guess the linux Opera messed something up, as always...[/edit]

Boby Dimitrov
boby@shararagames.com
Sharara Games Team

Edited by - BobyDimitrov on June 27, 2001 10:02:53 AM

Thanx, just make some ideas suggestions, get your threads into useful discussions and you are there... I haven''t done a backlog for the months that I was away, but when I do anything that has been posted before will be added

BTW Which links don''t work? I know that the ''Back to the main site'' one doesn''t... because I just uploaded the browsing version and didn''t bother with the rest of the site that I used to have (well, I don''t actually know where those files are ).

If there are any other links that don''t work, then please tell me which.. I am going for a little search through now

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche

Great to see you back in action, dwarfsoft =)
I''ll see if I can enough free time after work to write a little stuff, maybe add a little to those old entries..

btw, are you going to fix a birthday party for the original NPC AI thread? It will be one year old in two days! =)

*sings* Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear NPCAI, happy birthday to you.. */sings* =)

------------------
It''s me again!

Maybe I should tie a combined MY BIRTHDAY with the NPCAI in RPGs Birthday... 4 days different ... *sigh*... What do people suggest as a kind of celebration... 1 day of unmoderated Lounge in which you can all run amock? Nah... How about we all go and add a post to the end of it , it only still lives because I went back and found the problem with one of my posts and just couldn''t leave it to not editing

Anyway... Back on topic.. I should set up a team of people to work on the doc with collecting ideas from the all of the threads since the dawn of time (hell, I managed to do it for this forum - I have read all threads since this site came up by looking into the past ... why not expand into other forums too? ).

What do you think is the best way of achieving this? I have sooo little time to juggle between Philana, IOL, the doc, this site, Gamedeveloper.net, My game, and Uni (in order of preference ) that whatever is possible should be made simple and quick.

What I propose is that there should be either an RPG future site or mailing list (or even using the old Bulletin Board) to handle peoples updates. Email list would probably be better, because then I can sort out the emails as it goes, and save them etc. The old crosswinds/rpgfuture site was setup for just the purpose of having a few people make additions now and then, but it died before I could get any support .

Anyway... Suggestions, comments, ideas?

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche

I could host a little ''field researcher'' page on my page. It''s on a Linux server with PHP and MySQL, so it would be easy to fix an easy update feature. Drop me a mail if you''re interested.

btw, I got the first birthday post on the NPC AI thread =P

------------------
It''s me again!

Ideas (Taharez, please read)

1. Set up a host for the tFotRPGs document

2. Set up a php system like the Blogger easily, many free scripts out there. That way certain people will have access to post updates to the doc, which will be in html format only.

3. Once in a month, using php again, an update in .txt, .pdf, .doc, etc formats could be done and ready for download.

4. You could also download "patches" to the doc, using the same system (just make a bundle of the newly posted htmls and zip them, then unzip in proper folders). This is most flexible, as there would be contant updates and yet for the busy fan, an option to get the monthy issue.

5. Set up a message board, like phpBB, which is free and has many features, not to say that it looks like that one. This is a better option than ezBoard, as they are putting more and more adv to their free version.

6. In the board the parts of the document will be discussed.

7. If a bug/update is found as a result to discussion, Mods will post the decision to a private forum, from where Editors will get it to the doc (if a Mod don't have access to add to the doc), or to the document itself, if they have access.

8. Also put up a graphic/code/etc section, related w/ the doc, so the reader could (even from a local copy) get a snipet of code or a diagram that illustrates this and that example. This would keep the download size low, yet provide valuable info and resources.

My 2 cents, and more to come

Boby Dimitrov

boby@shararagames.com

Sharara Games Team

Edited by - BobyDimitrov on June 29, 2001 5:31:53 AM

Original post by BobyDimitrov
Ideas (Taharez, please read)

1. Set up a host for the tFotRPGs document

Well, I hope you are talking about a host for the update site, because it is already hosted on GDNet and Brinkster (since the crosswinds one is dead. I might set up a forwarding page there for the ppl who expect it to still be there).

2. Set up a php system like the Blogger easily, many free scripts out there. That way certain people will have access to post updates to the doc, which will be in html format only.

It might be simpler if the updates that people post are in Text only, or the only HTML allowed is links <A HREF...> because the CSS headers that I have do most of the work. All the people need to do is post text (with links) with a title and the CSS do the rest.

3. Once in a month, using php again, an update in .txt, .pdf, .doc, etc formats could be done and ready for download.

And maybe even sent off to a Mailing list, so that people can subscribe to recieve news about updates. Yahoo can be used and the PHP could send links to the list of subscribers. Or maybe I am just getting to wishful

Oh, and I think RTF would work better than DOC, because RTF cant hold macros and there are so many problems with possible viruses in Word Macros (which is why I started posting RTF files more regularly at the end) but that is a petty issue ATM ...

4. You could also download "patches" to the doc, using the same system (just make a bundle of the newly posted htmls and zip them, then unzip in proper folders). This is most flexible, as there would be contant updates and yet for the busy fan, an option to get the monthy issue.

This is something that I find difficult, or do you mean ''Patches'' as in the specific Chapters of the HTML file write over the existing ones. I could write a simple little installation file that chooses whether or not to overwrite the current HTMLs based on Date Modified (or possibly a little <!-- RELEASE=06.00.00> Tag at the beginning of all the HTMLs)

5. Set up a message board, like phpBB, which is free and has many features, not to say that it looks like that one. This is a better option than ezBoard, as they are putting more and more adv to their free version.

There is already a BB over at ezboard which hasn''t been getting much attention recently. (Except from you and me )

6. In the board the parts of the document will be discussed.

And ideas could also be refined, but that works just as well here as anywhere else. People will be able to dispute the credits, and all that...

7. If a bug/update is found as a result to discussion, Mods will post the decision to a private forum, from where Editors will get it to the doc (if a Mod don''t have access to add to the doc), or to the document itself, if they have access.

Well, at the Ezboard I have already added the extra forum, and You have been appointed the Scribe level

8. Also put up a graphic/code/etc section, related w/ the doc, so the reader could (even from a local copy) get a snipet of code or a diagram that illustrates this and that example. This would keep the download size low, yet provide valuable info and resources.

Definitely, and allow people to add to this repository as they wish. I am slowly starting to get towards coding. I just need a small model on which to work on (which I am currently doing).

My 2 cents, and more to come

Much appreciated and welcome

Ok, here we go..

1. Nothing to add here, really, just thought I should mention I have about as much space as I wish, the server is at my old school''s computer association, and the few of us that were left this spring threatened the new students in charge to let us have ~1Gb each Also, I''m pretty much still the webmaster of the site as none of the new guys have done anything at all resently.

2. I actually thought I''d code a little CVS-like update system in PHP.

3. I have used the different file and mail functions in PHP, and I think there''s a lib for pdf files too, so that won''t be a problem.

4. With a CVS-like system this would be quite easy.

5. I actually coded a BBS for a part of my final project in school, so I could fix a version of that if you want. It''s got groups, little icons and even avatars for the users

6. --||--

7. My BBS also support different user status, and access rights on the forums, such as public, restricted and private.

8. A resource database with search?

Any further input appreciated!

------------------
It''s me again!

All I need to know is if your BBS code handles login serverside or relies on a client or client software to connect to it. I expect that it is the former, because that is the way that most BBSs work, but I ask because things like the GDTalker and TA don''t work for me due to a stupid proxy config script that needs to be run to allow access through to the internet.

I was actually thinking about the CVS idea, and I was also wondering if we could have just set up an account at sourceforge.net... Of course, that wouldn''t be NEARLY as much fun

Guest Anonymous Poster
The major problem that I see, as I have some experience with similar organisated structures is selecting the people allowed to update the document. I.e. I obviously am not suitable - my lousy english in the first place, but Wav or Ketchaval...After all, many of the ideas in the Doc were taken from their posts.

And some clarification about my ideas above:
1. I''m talking about official host. Unlimited space is good
2. Yes, the text ppl post is plain text. The Blogger-like systems work in very similar to Moderated forum way: for some is read-only, while selected people post updates. The post is composed very much like the post in that forum and you can use html if you wanted to. I actually proposed that system, cuz it helps for 3. and 4. - the posts are stored as entries in a DB (depends on the system, but generaly most of the work that way). So once you need an update, you just tell the DB to spit all the post after <input date> in a html file, or a set of those. Yes, CVS is good, too
5. I proposed forum to be installed, because ezBoard puts up many banners and popups for their free service. I happen to administer 2 boards there and I can tell you it''s going worse every other month, unless, of course, you intend to pay the Gold tax. And yes, we could use your forum, Taharez, i guess it''s good too

Once again, the major problem with many authorised contributors will be filtering information. Otherwise very soon (mark my words) the Doc will become a 2 meg plain html monster, full with repeating ideas. Nevertheless how many people are allowed to add to the docs, code, art, etc, there should always be a small team of reviewers. Anyway, I guess you also have experience with such stuff, so I''m gonna cut this rant down...

As this is going to become something big, with not only docs, but maybe examples of code with implementation, art, illustrating ideas, etc, I guess it''s suitable to name the iniciative "The FoRPG Project" or even "The FoRPG-pedia" (read "forpigipidia")

Later!

Guest Anonymous Poster
The major problem that I see, as I have some experience with similar organisated structures is selecting the people allowed to update the document. I.e. I obviously am not suitable - my lousy english in the first place, but Wav or Ketchaval...After all, many of the ideas in the Doc were taken from their posts.

2. Yes, the text ppl post is plain text. The Blogger-like systems work in very similar to Moderated forum way: for some is read-only, while selected people post updates. The post is composed very much like the post in that forum and you can use html if you wanted to. I actually proposed that system, cuz it helps for 3. and 4. - the posts are stored as entries in a DB (depends on the system, but generaly most of the work that way). So once you need an update, you just tell the DB to spit all the post after <input date> in a html file, or a set of those. Yes, CVS is good, too
5. I proposed forum to be installed, because ezBoard puts up many banners and popups for their free service. I happen to administer 2 boards there and I can tell you it''s going worse every other month, unless, of course, you intend to pay the Gold tax. And yes, we could use your forum, Taharez, i guess it''s good too

Once again, the major problem with many authorised contributors will be filtering information. Otherwise very soon (mark my words) the Doc will become a 2 meg plain html monster, full with repeating ideas. Nevertheless how many people are allowed to add to the docs, code, art, etc, there should always be a small team of reviewers. Anyway, I guess you also have experience with such stuff, so I''m gonna cut this rant down...

As this is going to become something big, with not only docs, but maybe examples of code with implementation, art, illustrating ideas, etc, I guess it''s suitable to name the iniciative "The FoRPG Project" or even "The FoRPG-pedia" (read "forpigipidia")

Later!

Guest Anonymous Poster

Later!

Aww!!! Triple posting!!! /me stupid! !!!
NEVER USE FRIGGIN NETSCAPE ON FRIGGIN FREEBDS

Mods, please, please, del two of those above, I am so ashamed...

Boby Dimitrov
boby@shararagames.com
Sharara Games Team

Bah.... Looks like I answered my own question about Roving Moderators... Or maybe its just that post deletion hasn''t been enabled for all yet.

OK... We could ignore ezboard (I moderate 2 as well, and I agree about the advertising... ~!Bleagh!~ Aweful)

I like the idea of setting it up on a permanent place with unlimited space.. But does such a place exist? Taharez goes close...

Ok, as there seem to be an interest for my ideas ( thanks for the feedback, guys ) I''ll start arranging a clean version of the bbs ( Dwarf got a link to the old one used for my project ) so you guys can evaluate it before we decide anything. ( I''ll post here again as soon as I''m done. )

If someone who reads this is good at creating small, funny icons and avatars in 16x16, 32x32, 64x64 .gif or .png format, you''re welcome to contribute some, as my artistic skills are slightly limited

Back to business, if you want to contact me, please mail me @ taharez@gdnmail.net, or ICQ# 49512054. I live in Sweden, so my time zone is GMT+1, if I''m not mistaken. Your best bet to reach me during daytime is with mail, as I work fulltime and don''t have ICQ at work.

------------------
It''s me again!

Sandman, I also can delete my own posts, but as Netscape did not processed my username and password correctly, the posts appeared as anon ones, so... you get the picture...

A forum at the Taharez serv is the least we could have. No banners, no popups... Yaaaaay! Also a mirror for the doc. We could have updates of the doc discussed before officialy put up. CVS-like will be nice too, but we already talked about that.

About the icons... If there is no artists willing to do them, why not check iconfactory.com? Many icons there, all free. I have some macs at work, so I could convert them to gifs in no time. Just an idea...

Boby Dimitrov
boby@shararagames.com
Sharara Games Team

Edited by - BobyDimitrov on June 30, 2001 2:42:25 PM