The Future of RPGs - update

Started by
27 comments, last by dwarfsoft 22 years, 9 months ago
OK, I haven''t been able to ftp into GDNet to upload this, but the Beta version is available here as a Web browsable version only. For the moment that will be all that is available. There will be a zip version to be uploaded soon, and I hope to get the Word versions back. *dwarfsoft curses disk partitioning problems for losing all the word versions*... Anyway, hope you like -Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche
Advertisement
Yeees! At last!
Thanks Dwarfsoft!

Hm, maybe I'll live up to see my name somewhere inside that document... Or maybe not. Anyways, aside from the few not working links, it is a great update!

[edit]I check it again from my place, it looked ok. I guess the linux Opera messed something up, as always...[/edit]

Boby Dimitrov
boby@shararagames.com
Sharara Games Team

Edited by - BobyDimitrov on June 27, 2001 10:02:53 AM
Boby Dimitrovhttp://forums.rpgbg.netBulgarian RPG Community
Thanx, just make some ideas suggestions, get your threads into useful discussions and you are there... I haven''t done a backlog for the months that I was away, but when I do anything that has been posted before will be added

BTW Which links don''t work? I know that the ''Back to the main site'' one doesn''t... because I just uploaded the browsing version and didn''t bother with the rest of the site that I used to have (well, I don''t actually know where those files are ).

If there are any other links that don''t work, then please tell me which.. I am going for a little search through now

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche
Great to see you back in action, dwarfsoft =)
I''ll see if I can enough free time after work to write a little stuff, maybe add a little to those old entries..

btw, are you going to fix a birthday party for the original NPC AI thread? It will be one year old in two days! =)

*sings* Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear NPCAI, happy birthday to you.. */sings* =)

------------------
It''s me again!
That''ll be fun

We are coding NPCAI renamed IOL (Illusion Of Life)

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Maybe I should tie a combined MY BIRTHDAY with the NPCAI in RPGs Birthday... 4 days different ... *sigh*... What do people suggest as a kind of celebration... 1 day of unmoderated Lounge in which you can all run amock? Nah... How about we all go and add a post to the end of it , it only still lives because I went back and found the problem with one of my posts and just couldn''t leave it to not editing

Anyway... Back on topic.. I should set up a team of people to work on the doc with collecting ideas from the all of the threads since the dawn of time (hell, I managed to do it for this forum - I have read all threads since this site came up by looking into the past ... why not expand into other forums too? ).

What do you think is the best way of achieving this? I have sooo little time to juggle between Philana, IOL, the doc, this site, Gamedeveloper.net, My game, and Uni (in order of preference ) that whatever is possible should be made simple and quick.

What I propose is that there should be either an RPG future site or mailing list (or even using the old Bulletin Board) to handle peoples updates. Email list would probably be better, because then I can sort out the emails as it goes, and save them etc. The old crosswinds/rpgfuture site was setup for just the purpose of having a few people make additions now and then, but it died before I could get any support .

Anyway... Suggestions, comments, ideas?

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche
Oh, and I almost forgot to add the most important thing... the quote: "NPC''s are people too " (as seen originally in NPC AI in RPGs)

Cheers, Chris
I could host a little ''field researcher'' page on my page. It''s on a Linux server with PHP and MySQL, so it would be easy to fix an easy update feature. Drop me a mail if you''re interested.

btw, I got the first birthday post on the NPC AI thread =P

------------------
It''s me again!
is it really ?
Happy birthday dwarf

Ideas (Taharez, please read)

1. Set up a host for the tFotRPGs document

2. Set up a php system like the Blogger easily, many free scripts out there. That way certain people will have access to post updates to the doc, which will be in html format only.

3. Once in a month, using php again, an update in .txt, .pdf, .doc, etc formats could be done and ready for download.

4. You could also download "patches" to the doc, using the same system (just make a bundle of the newly posted htmls and zip them, then unzip in proper folders). This is most flexible, as there would be contant updates and yet for the busy fan, an option to get the monthy issue.

5. Set up a message board, like phpBB, which is free and has many features, not to say that it looks like that one. This is a better option than ezBoard, as they are putting more and more adv to their free version.

6. In the board the parts of the document will be discussed.

7. If a bug/update is found as a result to discussion, Mods will post the decision to a private forum, from where Editors will get it to the doc (if a Mod don't have access to add to the doc), or to the document itself, if they have access.

8. Also put up a graphic/code/etc section, related w/ the doc, so the reader could (even from a local copy) get a snipet of code or a diagram that illustrates this and that example. This would keep the download size low, yet provide valuable info and resources.

My 2 cents, and more to come

Boby Dimitrov

boby@shararagames.com

Sharara Games Team

Edited by - BobyDimitrov on June 29, 2001 5:31:53 AM
Boby Dimitrovhttp://forums.rpgbg.netBulgarian RPG Community

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement