UML Tools...

Started by
9 comments, last by shaft 22 years, 9 months ago
well to be the first person to post to this forum... Just curious if anyone out there uses UML tools in their software design of games.
He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.
Advertisement
I do, kind of.

When i design stuff, it is usually in my notebook, with paper and pencil. I use UML simply because it''s the best way I know of to design things, but as of yet, I have not been able to find a program that allows me to rapidly develop a UML diagram on a computer.

I guess I could make one...
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
I tinkered with UML but found it didn''t help me where my design got snarled - the tightly coupled interaction between several different objects. UML is pure OOP, and it just didn''t do it for me when trying ot design a game.

Mith, are you looking for just a diagrammer or something with source code generation? I only ask becuase I did a lot of searching a few months back and might have stumbled on something you could use.

JSwing
No, just a simple diagramer.

although, that source code thingy sounds cool.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
You can download a free trial version of the Together ControlCenter. If I remember correctly, when the trial version expires, it reverts to the Together Whiteboard Edition, which is more than usable.
The UML stills works, and you can save/load etc. It also senses changes in your code, so you can work in Together and Visual Studio at the same time.
The entire program is made in JAVA, which means it can be kind of heavy to run, but on the upside it runs on all operating systems with a JVM.
Get it at www.togethersoft.com

Regards

Gorm

You could try ArgoUML (search the web -- you'll find it). It is a pretty much full featured FREE Java UML tool. It is a little slow, but what do you want, it's in java (and did I mention it's free). It supposedly generates Java code for you also, but as my project is in c++ I didn't try that out.

If you have $$$$$$$$$$$ and even more $$$$$$$$ you could spring for Rational Rose, an excellent tool suite made by the company that developed UML (yes, UML was developed by a company, all three of the people responsible work for Rational)

Edited by - Warpstorm on June 27, 2001 1:04:42 PM
I use an old version of rational rose, and it is awesome. It took me some time to get used to. And definately for a while it slowed down my software design. But now that I''ve gotten more fluent, it has helped immensely. It still slows things down, but the fact that the code comes out great the first time, means fewer re-writes, which saves more time than the time I spent designing in Rose.

Objecteering whiteboard was decent (and free) but it wasn''t nearly as easy to use as rose.

For anyone out there who codes using OOD, I highly recommend using a UML tool. It will seem like it slows things down A LOT at first, but I promise you will get some kick ass results later.

He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.
Mith, second question is what platform/language combo are you looking for?

The ones for Linux and either no language or java tend to be cheaper (or even free), while Windows and C/C++ tend to cost a few bucks. Sometimes a lot, but there are some lite tools that don''t cost much.

JSwing
rational rose ..

but then dont go crazy with the designs..
i just make a use case , class and activity diagram ..
others i dont even bother to model.

{ Stating the obvious never helped any situation !! }
I thought that you guys would like to know about Dia. It is a diagram-drawing tool. It can model UML pretty well. My favorite thing about it (so far) is that it runs on my Linux and Windows boxes....

The Main Site(go here first):
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/

You can get a Windows Port here:
http://dia-installer.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
LeeB

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement