very small win32 programs with vc++.

Started by
24 comments, last by trigger 22 years, 9 months ago
avianRR: Anything in the libraries that are not used by your program will simply not be placed in the executable when it is generated. Removing unused libraries will speed up linking time, but have no effect on file size.
Advertisement
Ok - exactly why this obsession about reducing the size of a 24k program anyway?

You know, I never wanted to be a programmer...

Alexandre Moura
lo all!

why this obsession about reducing the size of a 24k program anyway? - simple question. its needed for a little 64k intro. every free byte is needed so i need to get all possible ones !

best regards
trigger
http://trigger.xenyon.net/
/FILEALIGN:512 is the same is /OPT:NOWIN98. At least, thats what I got from the docs.

The effects of UPX will be even more scary when you get the memory runtime size in kilobytes (or Megabytes), instead of percentages of system resources.

That''s because most of us developers have hundreds of megs of ram installed, and a 2% increase on our machines may actually be a very big jump for the end user''s machine.
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
Nuffsaid: I agree. 2% of my memory is about 4.5 megs. Sorry if I sounded sarcastic or anything in my last post - that wasn''t my intention.

Makes me wonder what the decompressor''s doing.
quote:Original post by Beer Hunter
Nuffsaid: I agree. 2% of my memory is about 4.5 megs. Sorry if I sounded sarcastic or anything in my last post - that wasn''t my intention.

Makes me wonder what the decompressor''s doing.

I would have taken offence, if only I wasn''t that sarcastic myself

I have no idea what the decompressor is doing. Maybe if you looked at the source code, you''d get an idea...
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement