Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Square versus Diamond

This topic is 6003 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Some people use square and some people use diamond tiles. I was looking at NOX today and I say it looked pretty odd. So I took a screenshot of it and found out that it uses 30x30 tiles. I was planning on using diamond tiles (32x16) but I thought I’d first post and find out if one has advantages over the other? I see a few advantages for square but don’t really see anything diamond holds over square. By square I mean tiles that are square but rotated at a 45degree angle.

Diamond tiles give the player a feeling of 3D (they don''t move up, down, left, and right, instead they move north-west, south-east, north-east, and south-west). On the other hand, square tiles are easier

In my engine I am using 44x44 square *rotated* tiles.

We''ll call them 1:1 tiles, and diamond are 2:1 tiles...

It is only very slightly easier this way I believe, but the reason I chose it was because I am an old UO player, and I just really like the look of the 1:1 tiles over the 2:1 tiles. 3D looking or not, for some things'' I just think it looks better.

It''s just a matter of preference and how you do some equations, no real difference.