Square versus Diamond

Started by
5 comments, last by MeEatCows 22 years, 10 months ago
Some people use square and some people use diamond tiles. I was looking at NOX today and I say it looked pretty odd. So I took a screenshot of it and found out that it uses 30x30 tiles. I was planning on using diamond tiles (32x16) but I thought I’d first post and find out if one has advantages over the other? I see a few advantages for square but don’t really see anything diamond holds over square. By square I mean tiles that are square but rotated at a 45degree angle. Thanks
Advertisement
there is no advantage one way or the other. in fact, there is practically no difference other than the size of the tile.

one thing that is different between the two is that the "square" tile will give a different look than the "diamond" tile. its pretty much just a matter of preference.

Get off my lawn!

I wanted to add that the difference between the 2 is that with diamonds you give the impression that the "camera" is closer to land than it looks in square rotated, in square you give the impresion the camera is looking down 45 degrees. where with diamonds looks like the angle is a little sharper.
Its a different perspective is all, the work you have to do with em is the same, square squares in the other hand (not rotated) does make a different, squares are easier for you to handle, but a pain for your graphics designer unless you want the camera looking straight down, good for some games, but not good for all of them.

my 2 cents
Yeah, pretty much the same. Just looks like a different angle. Your game will probably look better in diamond, but I guess it is just a matter of personal preference. Both are about as easy to program as the other though. Just different size.
Of course, if you were a masochist, you could have all your tiles made to look like they were at a different angle rather than a top-down look.. but like I said, onyl if your a masochist

--LordKaT
You all keep saying it''s pretty much just the angle that the "camera" is looking at the map but thats not the only difference. In your example you said nox uses 30x30 tiles... this is correct for the flooring but the walls are different. NOX uses different sized tiles for differnt things. Square 45degree rotated tiles actually do have a few advantages also. For example with diamond tiles your tiles are twice as wide as they are tall so you must have differnt walking speeds if you want to move from right to left on a tile than you would use for the normal 4 ways off of it. With square tiles you only have to have one walking speed to make it look correct. TANSTAAFL you wrote a book on isometric... you should have known that. There are differences besides the angle your looking at it. I think diamonds look better but they do take a bit more to make them work right.
that all depends on how you measure speed. with either tile shape, you have a number of steps to go from the center of one tile to the center of an adjacent tile. yes, the number of pixels moved in a given direction per step depends on the tile shape, but it is calculated the same no matter what the tile shape. since there is no difference in calculating this, i do not count it as a "difference" as far as the two are concerned.

Get off my lawn!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement