Don't Buy "3d game engine egine"!!! unless...

Started by
17 comments, last by JmarsKoder 22 years, 9 months ago
I think this is one of the most useful 3d books on the market. I learn something every time I open it.

I agree that there are some underexplained mathematics in this book. However, most is linear algebra and 3d calc, and is possible to figure out after a few minutes. Nearly all the remaining difficult math are proofs that are not critical to an implementation.

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown
Advertisement
Eraserhead:
Maybe you have a different edition of the book, because, in my book, which is open in my lap right now, pages 369 through 397 are all about quadtrees. Sure, only page 369 actually says "Quadtrees" (during the discusson on terrain topology), but the rest of the pages describe other necessary parts of the algorithm, such as vertex-based simplification (with possible optimizations if you can make a few assumptions), block-based simplification (and the optimizations for those same assumptions), vertex dependencies (very necessary for the actual implementation), block rendering, and finally, an overview of the entire algorithm in pseudo-code.

What the heck more could you want? The source code? An sudden moment of clarity where, all of a sudden, by buying the book, something magic happens and you suddenly understand a concept like this? The actual concept behind quadtrees is very simple and elegant, and it can be summed up in a paragraph, but the implementation is far more complex.

I implemented my entire quadtree terrain render (for my 3-d engine that I am being paid to write) from this book alone. So, don''t "ehem" me w/o doing your homework, ok? If you couldn''t find the 28 pages on quadtrees in a book that only has 560 pages, how do you find your underwear in your drawer in the morning?

For all of you guys complaining about the book:
You really should look at a book before you drop 70 bones on it. I mean, I''ve never been to a book store that doesn''t let you browse through the pages before actually purchasing the book. Did you go from a friend''s opinion and order the book online? Well, you''d better get as up to speed as your friends then.

This book was never advertised as a book for newbies.

Quote from JmarsKoder
"That book is a de-motivator, because if you don''t know better you would think that to "truly" learn 3d graphics you would have to know the stuff in that book."

What is your definition of "truly" learning? Heh, I''m of the opinion that in order to really implement a good engine, you truly need to know most of the concepts in this book. Do you think Carmack did it just by "learning to apply, and not just learning to know"?

Get your head out of ur arse and go learn some calculus.

-- Succinct
-- Succinct(Don't listen to me)
btw, JmarsKoder, that rant you have on your XIC website about GLUT being the best API for making games completely removes any credibility you may have had, imho.

Shit, i''ll take that rant down, I''ll be honest I dont know much about the api''s that is availibe for 3d stuff, but I could care less wtf you think, or anybody. F crediblity, you want crediblity look at the code i write.

Reality Makes Me XIC
I don''t do spelling, I hack code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience genius.
http://www.x-i-c.com/
I am XiCI don't do talk, I code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience XiC. http://www.x-i-c.com/
Who said I could find my underwear in the drawer in the morning?
Touches, Eraserhead!
JmarsKoder:
I would say, judging from your code and its judicious use of BORLAND C++ BUILDER, that you rely on pre-programmed libraries and other people''s RAD tools for your everyday development due to a lack of understanding of the medium.

Any credibility you hoped to gain by telling me to look at your code has just gone out the window. I''d place you slightly above a VB "coder" now, but not much. I''m sure all of your friends are scripters who plug and chug other peoples examples.

It''s no wonder you don''t like Eberly''s book. You would actually have to learn something for yourself in order to get anything out of it.

If you''ve been a "1337 koder" since at least 1999 (as your site says), Eberly''s book shouldn''t be that hard to grasp.

I am sorry there is no VCL component for an OpenGL window. I know that being able to point and click your way into an HGLRC would make it a lot easier on you, hence your reliance on GLUT.

Go learn some real C/C++. Go learn some calculus/analytical geometry. Go learn some target APIs. Then, when you grow up, we can go out to play nicely together. Until then, leave those of us who have actually progressed as programmers alone and don''t tell us which books are good and which aren''t.
Look you presumptuous ass. You must have just read the code that i hack up for a quick fix purposes, hide 2.0 had some sweet classes that I constructed from scratch, of course re-inventing the wheel which I know is a bad idea.I hate windows api code. I try to write ansi code that can be portable. I have good reason to hate win32 api, because I learned it, 1.5 years ago. I forgot it now. I''ve written some small experimental 3d engines, but I know nothing about the Gfx Api''s that is availible for Win32. Now look you want to see code. Look at my scripting language that I wrote 100% from scratch. I didn''t use those tuts that tell you " use lex, use yacc, have them generate automatically your parsers and scanners" No because I have a serious problem with having outside code in my programs, so i wrote my on lexer and scanner. When I code I obsessively try to have all the code be "mine." Now look I dont f**king know you. but from the looks of it, you must be a dumb p.o.s. I remember when I was young and a newbie, when I though I knew shit, i used to try and flame people, you poor baby, look go to your mommy and get your bottle so it can shut you up. I have nothing to prove to you. You can do and say what ever you want, then jack of to 10 year old boys for all i care. I still think glut is sweet, and when I am done learning opengl maybe I will write my own API, bitch. I hate bcb, and windows api gui, i hate vcl, mfc, and all those, f**king precoded shits, and I especially hate, 2 year old, cry babies, like your ass. Thanks you for having no life, and taking the time to read my code, so I can see how pathetic you are.

Reality Makes Me XIC
I don''t do spelling, I hack code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience genius.
http://www.x-i-c.com/
I am XiCI don't do talk, I code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience XiC. http://www.x-i-c.com/
enough

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement