Don't Buy "3d game engine egine"!!! unless...

Started by
17 comments, last by JmarsKoder 22 years, 9 months ago
Here is a tip to all 3d coders. DONT BUY THAT BOOK: "3d game engine degine" unless you are writing your phd thesis. That book will f*ck your mind. If you are learning 3d graphics to write an engine or a program, dont get that book. That book is for people who are good at writing engines, so that they can be uber-knowledgable. That book is a de-motivator, because if you don''t know better you would think that to "truly" learn 3d graphics you would have to know the stuff in that book. It is a waste of time and energy if you are learning to apply, and not just learning to know. I am not going to tell you where to go, because that isnt what this post is about. I am telling you where not to go. good luck. Reality Makes Me XIC I hack code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience genius. http://www.x-i-c.com/
I am XiCI don't do talk, I code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience XiC. http://www.x-i-c.com/
Advertisement
Yeah, if your expecting a "do a game engine book" this isnt it!
And, i though the book would talk about Engine design.... "errr!" Wrong! Its just a book with a lot of function(wich are not that well explained btw)

the good thing, well the book comes with a complete 3d engine for free(well supositly,, i havend look for it yet)

its more of a "See whats in my engine and put my code in your game" type of book.

its an advance book for ppl that want to make more out of their engines. The book sould be called "3D engine. look what I did"
:D
I thought the book was great. The notation is a bit odd, and takes sometime getting used to. It''s definately not for beginners though.

Joseph Fernald
Software Engineer
Red Storm Entertainment.
------------------------
The opinions expressed are that of the person posting
and not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Yess, man, as a matter of Fact I say that that code should be available to all of us without having to pay 70 bux. If anyone has the code (just the code) that his book is based on, drop a reply and leave your email, or just send to code to me jmarskoder@x-i-c.com. only the code not all the gfx, or wavs, and stuff. Coders Unite! Coders should not be exploited!

Reality Makes Me XIC
I hack code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience genius.
http://www.x-i-c.com/
I am XiCI don't do talk, I code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience XiC. http://www.x-i-c.com/
Giving away the code on the CD would be a direct violation of the licence given to the user when they purchased the book. Hence it would be illegal. I paid my money for the book and found it quite useful. Sorry you didn''t feel the same...
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
yeah I''m tired of all the communists too. "exploiting coders" ha, dude where do you think your paycheck is going to come from? You can''t eat code. Giving away code is a good thing, stealing code is a bad thing. I think it''s time you figured out the difference.
Yes, I am perfectly happy with my copy of the book. Maybe yours was misprinted?

I admit, the title is a bit misleading. It''s not really about ''design'', but it is a fairly Succinct collection of the little bits and pieces that are hard to find. Where else can you find a hard bound container of all of your 3d intersection math, optimizations of them, perspective texture projection, quadtree discussion, complete quaternion/vector/matrix explanation, and a general OOP hirearchy for a 3d engine?

I think you were just too intimidated by the book. Sure, 70 bones is a lot (and I didn''t eat for a week because of it), but I certainly don''t regret having bought it.

Give it some time. Maybe you were in over your head, but it is a valuable book.

Thank you for your bandwidth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~Succinct Demos Online~
I am a software engineer who writes poetic code!
-- Succinct(Don't listen to me)
Ehem...quadtree discussion? There''s exactly one page(out of 560) that deals with both quadtrees and octree, eg 1/2 page on quadtrees total.
Nah...I don''t think I have anything actually useful to say.
I sort of agree with the original poster, or at least his reasoning for saying what he does. I would add that the book is worth having amongst your collection of books though.

Unless you are a PhD in Mathematics then don''t have this alone though. It''s far too complicated. I''m glad the author understands it but he seems to make the presumption that every games programmer will too. Unfortunately even the average pro will be lost amongst that lot so don''t get too concerned.

Be aware as well that some of the mathematical listings are way over the top and many games programmers use much simplified code. Also be aware that in some cases the code and maths are wrong and don''t actually work.

If you haven''t taken Calculus or are uncomfortable with mathamatical notation this book is not for you. If you have this book is a goldmine of 3D math, tips and tricks. The author of this book is one of the creator of Netimmerse. He knows what he is talking about. If you had looked in they book and realized what it was before you bought it you would have saved yourself $70. My favorite part of the book was Collision Detection and Lighting. His explanations are clear and consise. The mathamatical formulas are also included. It is no more complex than a book on quaternions or other upper level math and is less expensive. This book fills a large void that is left between the "look I can draw on the screen books" and books like real time rendering that focus on specific topics. Thats what I have to say.

InFerN0

Not all who wander are lost...
InFerN0Not all who wander are lost...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement