Anyone ever played a game called Chrono Trigger?

Started by
8 comments, last by BlueTongue 22 years, 9 months ago
I was wondering whether the world map was tile based or on huge graphic. Cheers Blue Tongue
Evil is Good
Advertisement
Tile based
BlueTongue? From Australia? As in BlueTongue the makers of Staship Troopers??? It couldn''t be!

( to think, I still have my StarshipTroopers t-shirt from the game launch... i am proud of that shirt, even though veteran is spelt incorrectly )
I have played Chrono Trigger, from a programmers perspective I have no clue on how to tell what it is. But based on the movement(that it doesn''t limit you to being in one cell) it seems to be non-tile based.

"Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
"Ogun's Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
All SNES games are tile-based.

Try playing around with the vaious layers in ZSNES, I''m still not too sure if it is tiles, but have a look.

Waassaap!!
Waassaap!!
Not ALL snes games were tile based, not nearly so.
Chrono trigger was semi-tile based.
That is that object movement was per pixel.
But maps were aligned to tile boundaries, that is to say tiles could be odd sizes, but must be centered to a specific interval of coordinates.
The world map was not one large image, but was composed of medium sized images and smaller tiles.

(Now I''m only saying this by comparision to code I have seen and the way it looked and functioned)

Just because the church was wrong doesn''t mean Galileo wasn''t a heretic.
It just means he was a heretic who was right.
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.
Yes, Chrono Trigger, as w/ all of the genre, was tile-based. The catch was that the actors could have an offset in each tile. If a tile was 64x64 units, an actor could be positioned to be on any of the 2^12 units in that tile.

Thank you for your bandwidth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~Succinct Demos Online~
I am a software engineer who writes poetic code!
-- Succinct(Don't listen to me)
Hey Atavist. Have you seen some of the code? I''ve been wanting to check out some code from the square rpgs. What language did they use and where could i find it? That is if you''ve seen it.
For the SNES, they probably used a lot of ASM.
If you''re interested in SNES programming, you might want to try Gameboy Advance. I''m just getting the hang of programming for it, and it seems to be quite a lot like SNES, except you can use C instead of ASM^^
Maps are all made of 8x8 tiles, which is exactly what CT''s main map looks like to me. It does have a lot of things that show that they''re using tiles more than once (especially water). And in games that have 16x16 tiles, they''re actually just using 4 8x8 ones for each tile. Even text is just another layer of tiles, unless there''s some way to draw stuff on top of the tile layers that I don''t know about yet^_^
Hmm, I suppose you could just draw on the tile image data to get non-tile-aligned text though, but that''s getting off the original topic, so I''ll shut up now.

-Deku-chan

DK Art (my site, which has little programming-related stuff on it, but you should go anyway^_^)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement