Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Non-projected textures?

This topic is 6014 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, so I have my skybox up and running. It looks quite nice if I may say so, but, there is a small amount of distortion which sometimes is visible. You see that the 6 textures are projected onto the 6 sides on(or more correctly inside) a cube, so now I''m asking: Isn''t there a way to use non-projected textures? I read somewhere that Quake 1 used that for the characters to save some processing power. Is that useful on a skybox or do I have to live with being square... By the way, I''m using DirectX Graphics. Thanks in advance.

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you are using a skybox, there are only 6 faces, and 12 triangles. Your video card shouldn''t have a problem drawing 12 triangles. The speed increase will be about 1 nano-frame per second

But if you still want to unproject the texture for some other purpose, there is a texture transformation you can apply to the texture (more commonly used for environment mapping though)

try the
D3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_TEXCOORDINDEX, xxxx);

function. Also, look at the sphere map enviroment mapping example in the sdk. They have an example of doing a transformation to a texture. Im sure that you could soup it up to make it unproject the texture