Good calculator for programmers?

Started by
25 comments, last by Fruny 15 years, 1 month ago
Hi, sometime i feel like the calculator included with windows cumbersome, because it dont allow u to see/write more 0 before the number, has no separator or quick way to see a large number easily ect, little anoyance like that, so i was wondering if someonw knew of a good calculator for programming they found or even made themself, that would be great. I searched a bit a can't find one i like or that is free. Thx for ur help in advance.
Advertisement
Eh?

I'll use the google calculator for certain things the windows one doesn't do, but I don't understand your gripes to even consider if that'd be helpful to you...
I use my TI-83. I needed it for class, and it comes endlessly handy. It's also nice to have something not attached to the computer once and a while.
I use my debugger's watch window. Expecially since most the calculations I need to do are from numbers in game anyway, just drag a few variables together put a * or + or whatever sign in there, and check what my new value is. And it handles hex, so all the better for address calculations and such when digging through assembly for information on a crash.
Quote:Original post by Vortez
Hi, sometime i feel like the calculator included with windows cumbersome, because it dont allow u to see/write more 0 before the number, has no separator or quick way to see a large number easily ect, little anoyance like that, so i was wondering if someonw knew of a good calculator for programming they found or even made themself, that would be great. I searched a bit a can't find one i like or that is free.

Thx for ur help in advance.

[View -> Digit grouping] will fix your "no separator" problem.

Can't beat Calculator for quick decimal<->hex<->binary conversions. For anything more than just a quick addition or multiplication, I bring up Matlab.
Well, i just find that, seem not so bad, http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/program/pcalc.htm

Neat one, it's free and just look at the help file to know how it work.
A scripting language with REPL is good for many tasks.
I use the Windows calculator. The only time I ever need to use it is when I need to convert a decimal number to hex or hex to decimal.

If I actually need a calculator I just write a little bit of code and run the program.

I suppose that an actual calculator would be nifty for double checking to see if you're doing things right in your program though...
Microsoft's Power Calculator from their PowerToys is kinda neat.
I use 3dsMax MaxScript Listener. ROFL. Its very good

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement