Good calculator for programmers?

Started by
25 comments, last by Fruny 15 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Pzc
Microsoft's Power Calculator from their PowerToys is kinda neat.

Hey thanks! I used it for 5 minutes and got to love it ;) very neat indeed. unfortunately it doesn't draw 2 variables functions graphs =(
Advertisement
There's also the open-source and rather nice SpeedCrunch
the calc that comes with ubuntu suits me. its got leading zeros and digit grouping, and it can do much more that windows calc, such as square root without having to use the x^y button.
You don't need the x^y button to do square roots with Windows calc. You can also use Inv x^2
I use the Windows calculator and KCalc on Linux.
For more advanced math, I use wxMaxima and a good sheet of paper.

Cheers
Dark Sylinc
Python.

Really, run in interactive mode it makes one of the best and most flexible calculators out there.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote:Original post by Talroth
Python.

Yeah. Python and Google calculator are usually all I use. Quick and flexible.

Quote:Original post by caldiar
I use the Windows calculator. The only time I ever need to use it is when I need to convert a decimal number to hex or hex to decimal.

Google will do as well: '0x10 in decimal' or '16 in hex'. Octal and binary work too. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Quote:Original post by Captain P

Quote:Original post by caldiar
I use the Windows calculator. The only time I ever need to use it is when I need to convert a decimal number to hex or hex to decimal.

Google will do as well: '0x10 in decimal' or '16 in hex'. Octal and binary work too. :)

yeah but doing a google search takes longer :P

Quote:yeah but doing a google search takes longer :P
You would be surprised. Quite often you always have a browser open, set to the Google search page.

The other reason I like Google is because I can convert between different units of measurement. It is very handy.
If there's something that the windows calculator won't do for me (rare occasions) then I use my Casio Graphics calculator, fx-9750G PLUS is the model name/number. Although it's not cheap, around 90USD, but damn useful for almost anything you want to do with math.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement