How to get to games designing?

Started by
5 comments, last by Shmmeee 22 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I want to be a games designer. At the moment I''m learning programming and I''m starting a computer science degree later this year cos I love programming. However my dream job would be something where I can create my own ideas and not just code what I''m told. Could someone tell me what sort of level you have to get to within a company before you get a chance to have some input into the design and feel of a game? Also as the computer science course obviously doesn''t cover any of the creative aspects of making games, only the technical side, what could I do to learn about this side? I hope I''ve made myself clear, looking back at that post it doesn''t look like I have TIA, Iain
what''s got two legs and bleeds?Half a dog!
Advertisement
Ok, well it''s a good thing you are interested in programming as well because it''s pretty hard getting a design job right away. Getting the CS degree will be good, I would suggest just trying to get a job programming for a company first, after you''ve been there for a while and you''ve demonstrated your skills, they will trust you more and would be more likely to be more open to your ideas and suggestions. There''s not really a single way to be good at game design. I would suggest if you want to be a level designer make a level for your favorite game, if you want to be a "regular" designer I would recommend doing some story writing and maybe taking creative writing courses. I am far from an expert on the subject but I hope i''ve helped some.
Thanks, you have helped. I''m not even sure if I want to get a job just designing games, I''d be perfectly happy just coding. What I was really trying to find out was how much input the average programmer get into his work.
In the meantime, you can start or join an amature game group and have a lot of input. Plus you''ll learn more than they will teach you at school.
He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.
Sorry, I''ve never heard of amatuer games groups can you explain a bit more?
Well Now,

Since you live in the UK like me I''d say the best place to get work experience is somwhere like Guilford where all the big developers are located. Shmmeee what college qualification''s have you got. Only it''s a little late to get onto a CS degree. Jan - March is the time to apply. I applied for mine at Lancaster Uni and needed 3 Distinctions on a national diploma, some Uni''s only want 2. But they will all want GCSE maths and english. Also some like Liverpool Uni want A-level maths aswell. And I haven''t heard of amatuer games groups either. I suspect thery''re more common in the US. But good luck man...

STVOY

Pyre Light Studios (Under Construction)

STVOY: Well I''ve already been accepted to Nottingham Trent and I start later this year. I''ve currently got an ND and a HND in telecomms engineering, which obviously isn''t very useful. But it did teach me basic C & C++, discrete maths, computer architecture and also assembler so I''m hoping I''ll have a good grounding in CS.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement