Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE ENGINE CHALLENGE 2001

This topic is 5990 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alrighty Then! This is an update to let all you fine people know where it''s at. The Engine Challenge WILL be going ahead, but not for a short while. I have been playing with a new and interesting data format for teh challenge. My original plan was to use a high density worldcraft .map file, but when people were talking about curves.. I got curious. Long and the short of it: Learn your curves. Bezier/Hermite... Nurbs... all that sorta stuff, coz this data is gonna be bendy! I''m making an editor to assist myself in the creation of the competition data, which is going to take me a while to finish. The competition as it stands: Week one: File format will be released to registered contestants. Sound package will be released Week two: Level geometry data will be released Week three: Model data will be released to contestants Week four: Sunday: All teams must submit their 3 coolest screenshots Saturday: All teams must submit their final engine This will begin as soon as I have finished the test level - please be patient - there''s still a bit of work to do on the editor! And thankyou to those wonderful folk who have periodically emailed me and told me to get my head out of my arse and keep working on it!! (who needs a uni degree anyway?!) Anyway: Thoughts? Suggestions? I''d like to see teamwork from some of you lot! Booyakasha! Khrob _________________________________ I used to be indecisive. Now I''m not so sure...

Sounds cool. Could you just post the data somewhere, so that those of us who are too cowardly to actually compete can have something to play with?

Hi All

If I am going to play, I may as well play to win. So anyone wanna be in a team ?

I am quite a competent coder ?

3DG

tsuraan - all the data will be released for everyone to share.

and dont be worried about entering - just have a go!!

As will all entries - when all the judging has happened, all the code will be released for teh betterment of all.

If you dont like that, please dont compete. It's about the knowledge people!

The site will go online very soon, when I have permissions from people to link to their pages on curves.
If anyone would like to write a reference/tutorial on splines, please contact me directly.

Edited by - Khrob on June 28, 2001 1:37:35 AM

What is reruired for the enigines?

Are they just going to be graphics renderers, or do they have to have full collision detection/weapons/physics capabilities? Are these things required to enter? Will they be looked upon higher if they have these?

I would be interested in entering either way, but it would be nice to know...

Open mouth, insert foot

The main focus is on rendering, although collision detection will be highly regarded.

As far as physics/weapons are concerned, there will be no need to implement them. The most complicated stuff aside from the world renderer will be rendering md3 animation, on what will most likely be semi-static (predefined) objects - ie - you wont have to worry about ''moving'' a monster - just play it''s loop.

So a renderer and a good ''walking'' interface.

It''s still happening, but sorry about the curves - but they''re gonna be a biiig part of it.

If anyone''s interested in helping out by writing a tute on hermite and bezier curves please contact me!

Cheers,

Khrob

Curves: interesting, because I noticed MAYA used NURBS sufraces and I''m wondering if learning this "curves" stuff will make loading MAYA models easier. I may be totally off here.
Jamie

I dont know about Maya model loading. I guess so!

As for the timeframe - realistically around september sometime- hopefully early - but if it''s in semester time, I''ll extend the actual timescale.