Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metron

Event logging

Metron    268
Hi, I''m creating a system (engine) where the different components are PlugIn based. What I would like to do now is to have a general log file (or log window) where different events are logged. I''m thinking of something like the log window that is opened once Q3 or STV:EF are started. I''ve been thinking of it and I struggled upon the idea that I would have to pass the log instance to every component of the system. Has anyone implemented such a logging system which is able to log events from different components such as DLLs ? Kind regards, Metron

Shannon Barber    1681
Rather than pass a log instance to each plug-in, you could provide a function that acquires a pointer to the console/log singleton. You pass something to the plug-ins don''t you? Like a pointer to the current instance of the game?

Metron    268
I do not pass a pointer to the game to the plug-in because I want them to be reusable. I also wanted to avoid passing a pointer to the plug-in but I had some serious thoughts about it the last couple of days and I think that I cannot avoid it.

I think I stick with this idea: I put a function into the plug-in that allows me to set a log class interface to that plug-in. Since the plug-in only get''s a pointer to a pure virtual class, the implementation etc. can be independent of the game and of the type of logging.

I also would have the control to which plug-in logs and which don''t...

The way how the game logs the events can be programmed within the game by overloading (see implementing) the pure virtual class...