Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daishim

Mode13h for VC++

I''ve scourged this site and the net for tutorials and explanations on mode13h. But they are all for Borland or DJGPP. Does anyone know of any dos graphics mode programming for VC++?

Modern versions of VC++ cannot create DOS programs, therefore none of that DOS stuff will apply. Unless you''re trying to learn the hardware, I''d suggest using a library such as Allegro (the Windows version) unless, of course, you''re ready to plunge into DirectDraw.

Would the same not apply for a Win32 console application or are the video modes not compatible? I''m using MSVC++ 6. I''m not ready to take on DirectX in C++ yet, but I have in Visual Basic. I know all the concepts I''m just switching languages. Any kind of mode would do really. Resolution doesn''t matter to me it could be 320x200 for all I care. I just want something that will do some pixel plotting. I would like to get C++ down using dos mode graphics before moving to Win32, if possible.

actually, there is a way to do it. I remember a post about this a while back about this topic. Apparently there was a way to do it, but I can't remember how it was. I'll try and search for that thread.

[edit]: damn, looks like the search engine is broken temporarily.
HHSDrum@yahoo.com
Polarisoft Home Page

Edited by - Julio on June 27, 2001 1:27:44 PM

What is Allegro? I don't want to get into anything really complex because I plan on moving to Win32, I'm just using Win32 Console/dos to help me make the transition from VB to C++ by retaining the C++ code. I've got the game programming thing down (2D simple graphics) just not for C++. I'll take any dos video mode compatible with MSVC++.

Edited by - Daishi on June 27, 2001 2:19:22 PM

Ok, I finally pulled out an old Borland Turbo C++ 3.0 compiler that I had stashed away somewhere. Would this suffice for using mode13h?

You could use GLUT library. GLUT is a portable lib for OpenGL. Makes it very simple to use OpenGL and not worry about Win32 & OS specific coding. Also, you can use GLUT from your Win32 console app (perfect eh?).

[edit] Oh, and about Turbo C++. Yes, Turbo C++ will work perfectly with Mode 13h because it compiles 16bit DOS apps.

Edited by - Silent on June 27, 2001 2:50:36 PM

I can''t get Turbo C++ to install. There are corrupted files on disk 3, 5, and 7.

disk 3:
tcwhelp.ca5

disk 5:
slib.pak
sounder.pak

disk 7:
debug.ca1

If anyone has Borland Turbo C++ 3.0 (For Windows), could you send those 3 files my way. Thanks. If not, thanks anyway and thanks everyone for your help. I will check into the GLUT lib. Where do I get it?

The only GLUT tutorials I see are for Win32, perhaps you could point me in the direction of some for using a console app.

I strongly urge you to use VC++ and Allegro. Allegro is not complex at all. And it is certainly less complex that plugging in that DOS assembly crap with Turbo C++--and if you''re going to use the BGI, Allegro is no more difficult than that.

Please, do try Allegro.