I come up with a really good game idea!

Started by
14 comments, last by stevem444 22 years, 9 months ago
Right, basically i've been working on a design document for a game. Though I don't have the skills to develope my idea. I would really like some advice on what to do with my idea for my game. Is there anyway I can show it to a team or company for them to work on it , if they like it? Please can you give me some suggestions on what I can do. Most appreciated if you can help me. Regards Steve Edited by - stevem444 on June 27, 2001 3:27:42 PM
Advertisement
FLAME BAIT!!!!!

many people have great Ideas for a game, even more think they do, no company will take from you only a design document, because they dont work for strangers they meet on the internet, you have to show them a working demo at least besides the design document so they know you know what you are doing, besides, if they do take your Idea you will be working for them to finish your project, in exchange they will give you money and resources for you to get something working, why do people think the big companies have 1000 of iddle programmers and graphic designers ready to develop ideas from strangers?

enought has been said in the forums about this, and spect a flame, and bad comments, dont give up, think twice on how you will get your game idea implemented, surely you wont expecting others to code for you.

no flame intended
Unfortunately, it''s not like Hollywood where if you meet that right person you can get your script developed into a mega-movie (not sure how much that happens, but you hear about it from time to time).

I''d stay away from pro game companies and concentrate on a smaller scale, at least to start. You might be able to inspire an artist and programmer to work on your concept and put it out there. Then at least you''d have a game done.

Another alternative? Find game making software / multimedia software that will allow you to mock up your game idea. You''ll need a lot of time and patience for those, and you may need to learn how to use presentation software. Then, if you solicit volunteers, you have something cool and inspiring to show them.

Yet another alternative? See if you can mock up your concept using an existing engine of another game. Quake or Starcraft RPG mods are a good example.

If all of that fails, consider making a movie with props and a small camera, to help show what you have in mind. That''s a longshot, but it''s cheap and you can use models / dolls / whatever.

Your two major enemies are: a concept which is too nebulous, because it''s either in your head or only written in the doc; and a concept which is too far reaching, requires too much art / technology, and is unfeasible for a beginning team.

It''s a hard fact, but what sells a game has less to do with a cool concept and more to do with the ability to execute...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Oh yeah, this is flame bait allright. Luckily we all are mature peoples in this forum *cough cough*

Anyways, Wav put out some really cool ideas, some stuff I''ve never thought of. Course I knew better than to think about submitting my game ideas to a major company (sorry, sorry). Anyways I''d just like to add that you should also beware that even if, IF a company chose to make your game there''s no guarentee that they''ll let you have your say in it. Sure they may pay and make you feel important but may ont rel on you to make any big decisions. When you go to present your ideas to a company make sure yuo have everything written on paper and signed both from you stating your intentions and involvement in the project and from the company confirming your intentions and position in the project. And that''s all I have to say about that

==============================
"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"
==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

learn to program, no one is going to make your game for you. I thought I would hate programming but I really like it.
Professional game-development companies will hardly ever even consider an idea by someone not in their company. The reason: Intellectual Property issues. They cannot be sure that you ripped your idea from someone else who just happens to have copyright on some of the things in the idea. Accepting your idea leaves them open to all sorts of nasty lawsuits.
If they do it in-house, they have some control over who generates what, and who has copyright.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote:Though I don''t have the skills to develope my idea.

Hey, why don''t you try to gain that skills? Maybe you think that designing that document was a funny task, but don''t you think that coding it can be still funnier?

I''m sure it have to be.

Maybe at first you can''t program that (maybe) complex game, but you can train with simpler ones.

Anyway, good luck with that!
--DK--H. Hernán Moraldohttp://www.hhm.com.ar/Sign up to the HHM's developers' newsletter.
Well if anyone is intrested in reading my idea, I will post it up here?

Yes/No?

Steve
I am interested in hearing it out of curiosity, to see why u think is a good idea, and to see if it really is a good idea,
I advice you however not to post all of it, just an overview of what you have, and get comments about it so you can decide what to do, big companies might not be chasing strangers for ideas, but there is always someone ready to steal one (however getting ideas from previous ideas is not stealing the idea, changin the name and say is yours is).

Good Luck to you friend
I''m sure there are plenty of people that would like to hear your idea, but remember, once you post it, you lose all intellectual copywrites, er... atleast most of them I guess. And if someone here decides to make a game based on yours, or even straight out copy your idea, and give you no credit, there is nothing you can do about it.
Like everybody else has said, you''re not going to get a pro company to code it for you, in fact, if you even get past the front door I''d be surprised. It''s the same in a lot of other industries too. If you send lyrics you wrote, or a tape you made to a singer/band, their lawyers will take your package, and return it with a note saying they never opened it.
It''s a vicious circle. You need to make yourself known before a company is going to help you, but if made yourself known, you probably aren''t going to want the companies help anymore!
And I hate to dissapoint you, but if you only got one good idea, chances are you aren''t going to make any money off of it. It''ll take a few ideas before you put yourself in a spot where you can make money off of a good idea.
If you think you got a few good ideas, you might want to keep an eye out at sites like this and watch the forums for a group that wants another designer, join up, and hope it turns out for the good.
If you just want to see your game made, and don''t care about credit, you can post the idea and somebody may use it.

Just trying to help you out some.

--Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement