Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OctDev

.NET Beta 2 Question

OctDev    158
What is the difference between the Visual Studio .NET Beta 2 and the .NET Beta 2 Framework? VS includes the Framework, but as stated by Microsoft, the framework as a stand alone "includes everything you need to write, build, and test .NET Framework applications: ADO.NET, ASP.NET, the common language runtime, documentation, samples, tools, and command line compilers." So my thoughts are that the framework alone has now windowed gui and no integration tools, but I am not sure. Anyone know for sure, so I can decide whether or not to order the VS.NET Beta 2 or just download the Framework? Thanx! --OctDev

Dean Harding    546
The framework doesn''t include the beta of Visual Studio.NET (that is, the IDE). All it has is command-line compilers and tools that you need to compile/run .NET apps (including C# apps).

If you can, get the CD. Technically, you shouldn''t be running any .NET stuff on your normal windows machine (MS recommends having a separate "test" machine for the betas, or at least a different partition) so if you''re going to go to all that trouble, you should at least get the full CD.

Of course, there''s nothing all that destructive about .NET - you won''t find that all your apps don''t work, though I''m not sure if there''s an uninstall option so you might not be able to get rid of it without a reinstall of windows. I''ve been known to be wrong though...

War Worlds - A 3D Real-Time Strategy game in development.

OctDev    158
Thank you. I figured it was just missing the IDE. I''ll go ahead and order the beta.

Thax again!

--OctDev