3D Software Recommendations Needed

Started by
7 comments, last by double O seven 15 years, 1 month ago
I'm trying to decide which 3D program I should be using to develop the graphics for my games and I have come to the conclusion that I really don't know what my requirements are. I've glanced at Modo, Lightwave, Truespace (now free) and ZBrush. I've been using Shade 8.5 for a little while as well. The problem I'm having is both Modo and Lightwave look like great products and look like they can produce stunning results. My budget is to keep the price of the software under $1000 (so Maya and 3DS are out) and I want something that is going to be relatively easy for me to get work into my games. I also want a package that has a good interface for making my graphics. I've seen dozens of reviews on the products and they sound pretty good, but none of the reviews are in terms of what I as a beginner DX game programmer need to know to make the most of my dollar. Does anyone have any recommendations and why you recommend one product versus another? Thanks everyone. John
Advertisement
I would at least try Blender for a few weeks before buying anything. It's completely free, so it's at great start unless you're entirely sure that you want or need something else.
I think that most programs _can_ produce stunning results. For realtime games however, exactly how stunning can you really use?
Especially if you are foremost a programmer I would recommend going for a free program for now, at least if you plan on working with modelers to do the graphics for you in the future.
Houdini should be on your list of things to check out as well as blender.
I almost forgot one of my requirements. I want something that has a good selection of books and/or online training material.

The reason I dislike Shade 8.5 so much is besides the included manual, there is next to no good resource (a couple of small sites and tutorials).

John
I can recommend Cinema4d.
Low cost initialy, but you can buy extra modules if you want them.
I think Cinema4d has, by far, the most intuitive UI from all 3d modellers I've seen. I also believe it ships with a free uv mesh painter, bodypaint.
Link
Look at all the pretty colours!
Moving to Visual Arts.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote: I'm trying to decide which 3D program I should be using to develop the graphics for my games and I have come to the conclusion that I really don't know what my requirements are.

If your making all your own models chances are you need program(s) that can mesh, texture, and animate models for integration into your games. Preferably with a low learning curve and good documentation to get started quickly.

Knowing that, the task ahead is not quite so clear. Program's that do all of those features tend to have steep learning curves, whereas programs with only specific features (like just modeling) while easier to learn won't fulfill all your needs (IE: texturing/animating). So the choice you have to make is:

Do you learn one really complex program that does everything you need? Or do you learn a bunch of different smaller programs that do what you need?

Blender seems to usually be the recommended (free) all-in-one package, it does have a steep curve but their site is replete with tutorials and an active community. You can also check the GDWiki 3D Tool List for more alternatives.
Blender is really powerful, but its UI is far from easy to learn. If you don't fear this, then this app might be a good choice, because it is powerfull and free.

I've always found lightwave to be one of the easiest 3d app to use. It has not the best modeler, renderer or animation tools out there, but it is one of the few applications (in my knowledge) that can be put among the bests in every field. For example, modo has a better renderer, but animation is not as good.
Modo is another very good tool, and is growning very fast (the programmers are the same that invented lightwave).

For that price, I suppose that both lw and modo are good choices.
Blender is what I use and its proved itself pretty reliable in terms of games and animation. I havent used many commercial apps but if your on a budget I definitely recommend Lightwave. Its the next one down the ladder from the apps that are priced in the thousands.

good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement