Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DLL exports

This topic is 6018 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I want to access a class inside a DLL, but also use it within the DLL. So I have to use "__declspec(dllexport)", no? But VC++ says me (if I try that): error LNK2005 "class ..." already defined in "...". I can avoid this if I use "extern" in the .h file (in which the class is used). But then I can''t reach the class outside of the DLL. Question: How do I avoid LNK2005 but also can use the class in my application ("extern __declspec(dllexport)" doesn''t work!)? Darkening

Guest Anonymous Poster
instead try

__declspec(dllimport);

i''m not sure tho......

you should specify __declspec(dllexport) on the class (in the header file) when building the dll, and specify __declspec(dllimport) in the header when using the dll. Easiest is to use a #define.

ex.

// SomeClass.h

// ......

#ifndef BUILDING_DLL
#define DLL_EXPORT __declspec(dllexport)

#else
#define DLL_EXPORT __declspec(dllimport)

#endif

class DLL_EXPORT SomeClass
{
// whatever....

};

And then define BUILDING_DLL only when you are building the DLL.

Edited by - Dactylos on June 27, 2001 5:57:23 PM

Actually it works, but now I get the compiler warning C4273 (something like "Inconsistent DLL binding..." (I don''t know the English text, because I have a German version)). What does THAT mean! VC++ does a dllEXport if I write dllIMport. If I write dllEXport, it gives me nothing but errors. That''s really amazing!

Darkening