Removable IE

Started by
46 comments, last by Sirisian 15 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Gametaku
Remove IE 8

Quote:
The latest test builds of Windows 7, Microsoft's successor to its Vista operating system, allows users to completely delete Internet Explorer from their systems. While previous versions of Windows allowed you to disable IE, it appears the Windows 7 will be the first to allow you to get rid of the actual IE 8 executable.

Personally I'm sure that's not enough, OS X can come with Safari and most Linux distros come with firefox as the only useful options. However until windows comes with firefox, or maybe chrome Microsoft would be to anti-competitive

Why is that ?, if IE can be removed system builders can choose to remove it and install another browser instead, the only problem would be that they still might have to pay for IE.

With Microsoft making their OS more and more modular and allowing for easy upgrades between versions this too might soon be a thing of the past. (If i could just whip out my credit card and select the modules i wish to have it would be insanely great(Vista goes a bit in this direction with the system they have to allow users to upgrade from for example home basic to home premium), taking it further for advanced users would be sweet)

Then there is also the advantage of simply not having to keep a bunch of software that you're not using on your harddrive (Especially important when you're dealing with cheap netbooks and other computers with limited resources).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Advertisement
I like it. More competition is always better. Allowing one to replace components of windows with other parts will create new business opportunities for other companies.
I don't get it. I don't have to uninstall Opera if I want to install Firefox, so why do I have to uninstall IE? To free up a whopping 4MB of disk space?
All of this stuff is pretty stupid tbh.

IE doesn't prevent me from installing FF and Chrome.

I like systems like apt-get on linux, but I assume if MS did something like that it would be 'omgantitrust'.
Quote:Original post by Promit
Personally I'm sure that's not enough, OS X can come with Safari and most Linux distros come with firefox as the only useful options. However until windows comes with firefox, or maybe chrome Microsoft would be to anti-competitive
I was trying to think of a way to sugarcoat this, but I'm just going to come out with it.

I have no idea what the hell you just said, let alone what your point might be.

(Also, good luck finding a significant Linux distro that installs GNOME but not Epiphany, or KDE but not Konqueror.)

I for one have never seen anyone recommend Epiphany or Konqueror. Since I've never used Epiphany I can't comment on it, however from my experince with konqueror my order for default browsers on Linux goes.

1. Firefox,
2 Lynx,
3. reboot the system to windows and use the first one from this list:
Chrome
Firefox
Opera
Safari
IE,
4. find another computer and go through the above list,
5. avoid the web,
6. Repeat steps 1-5
7 Konqueror.
Just me
Um...okay. So what? No one cares what browsers you like, after all.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
hey! I care!
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

Well okay, cool. I can delete IE when I upgrade to Windows 7. Great. I guess.

If anything, I hope this shows just how pointless the argument about IE's irremovability has always been.
I for one have never seen anyone recommend Epiphany or Konqueror. Since I've never used Epiphany I can't comment on it, however from my experince with konqueror my order for default browsers on Linux goes.

1. Firefox,
2 Lynx,
3. reboot the system to windows and use the first one from this list:
Chrome
Firefox
Opera
Safari
IE,
4. find another computer and go through the above list,
5. avoid the web,
6. Repeat steps 1-5
7 Konqueror.

o_O

1. I use Konqueror because it's conveniently built into the file manager
2. Opera because it's I like the Oxis skin and its fast and good and stuff
This actually sounds like a bad thing.

Here's what I see happening:

- User uses whatever browser he finds installed; probably Internet Explorer anyway, if computer manufacturers do have to pay for IE, regardless of whether they ship it or not.

- User is a webpage developer, and therefore must use IE to test his webpages, so he doesn't uninstall it anyway, regardless of what browser he actually uses when surfing the net.

- User thinks he's sophisticated for disliking Microsoft, and so uninstalls IExplorer and installs Firefox. He doesn't stop to think why he doesn't like Microsoft, and ignores the fact that he's using Windows...

- Those few computer manufacturers that do entirely remove Internet Explorer, instead of just offering alternatives alongside it, suddenly are bombarded with customer support requests. If people have trouble moving from IE6 to IE7, imagine how much trouble they will have moving to Chrome or Firefox.

- User uses whatever browser he wants to, because he just downloads his preferred browser, regardless of whatever browser ships with the computer.

So all we end up with, is Microsoft haters getting a false sense of 'victory', as well as increased customer support calls for any of the few computer manufacturers who remove IExplorer completely.

And I don't see the OP's point in saying Microsoft should ship Firefox or Chrome with Windows. Why would Microsoft, a software company, be forced to ship free alternatives to it's products, instead of selling the software it legitimately makes? Why should a business not try to make money?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement