THE C++ Book, and other questions...

Started by
3 comments, last by Rambus 22 years, 9 months ago
Hello, I''m relatively new to this website (I already read some articles, but it''s the first time I use the forum...), and I have some questions about programming (Game dev eventually.) First, I know a little about C, which I learnt by reading The C Programming Language by K&R 2nd edition, but now, I want to "upgrade" to C++, and also to what is called the win32 API (in fact, I want to program win32 apps). The C book I read seemed to be the bible of C, but now, I''m asking: What is the bible of C++ and/or win32/MFC?? Also, I recently downloaded Dev-C++ which seems to be a good IDE, but I''m asking myself: "Should I spend 250 bucks for VC++ which will be outdated in some months?" and I ask you the same question. Finally, Where can I find good tuts about win32 c++ programming? Thanks
Be SnE
Advertisement
Well, since you like books written by the language creators, you might want to try "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup. He is essentially the creator of C++.

As far as getting a copy of VC++, you might be able to get a student version of it (for around $100, I believe). Of course, it probably has a bunch of restrictions on use, so I doubt you could sell anything you make with it. That''s no big deal if you''re not trying to sell things right now though
Win32 is generally done with C.
Here are some links anyways:
Link one
Lnk two
three Link

By the way there is a very big tutorial book by Petzold.
ISBN: 157231995-X

Edited by - Clash Rocker on June 28, 2001 1:07:23 AM
OK, so now, in the last past days, I learnt that win32 programming is not intended for use with C++, but rather C?? Is that actually true?

And is it me or programming for DOS is way easier than for windows? Why is it SO complicated... 70 lines for a simple window!! What the ...?!

Could someone tell me where I could find complete resources about windows programming. Now I know that I don''t have to involve myself into C++ (well, for the moment...) to begin learning about the win32 API, but is there any mean of easily get into it faster than by guessing some constants and trying to understand all these nonsense parameters (like the hPrevInstance which was once used by Win31, but is now here only for backward compatibility??? I never heard of win32 apps running on win31!!)

So here is what I''m asking you now: What is THE book about win32 programming?!

Thanks for the ones who answered my previous questions, and thanks to the ones who will answer my new interrogations, really
Be SnE
Win32 can be done in C++ as well as C, most people prefer C++ anyway.

I think you are talking about programming a Win32 Console application. It''s much simpler, because the console is there for you and you just output text to it, get text from the user, etc. When programming a Win32 Application, you have to create the window, then handle the messages sent to it.

Where I learned how to program Win32 was a link already posted; http://www.winprog.org/

It is a wonderful website covering the basics of programming in a Win32 environment, including creating windows from "scratch", creating windows using dialogs, creating menu''s with or without resources, using toolbars, creating MDI windows, and simple GDI graphic functions.

-Dennis
C++, OpenGL, PHP, HTML, java-script, ASP
-DennisC++, OpenGL, PHP, HTML, JavaScript, ASP

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement