purpose of a game?

Started by
10 comments, last by sunandshadow 22 years, 9 months ago
Maybe this is silly, but do you think we ought to have a statement somewhere saying what the purpose(s) of a game is(are)? It would be a useful thing to point to when arguing that design decisions should be made one way or another.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
I don't know if you recall but we had numerous discussions about what a game is a yr ago back in the Landfish days

...A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on June 27, 2001 11:22:25 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Purpose of a game: To provide its designers endless hours of agony, torment, hair pulling, argumentation, disagreement over implemtation details, dreaming of a finished product which never materializes, the creation of ideas and workgroups which fizzle and die, and in general, a great deal of thinking and discussion and very little actual production.
a fun way to pit yourself against other people. Anything less is a job or a toy, not a game.
The purpose of a game is to fullfil our desire to be someone else or be in a different situation from what we experience in real life. People tend to like games where they have more power then they would in real life. Of course, games have many more purposes then that ,training and experimentation in a (mostly) risk free environment, fullfillment of fantasies, competition and storytelling come to mind, but the other person thing seems to apply to all most PC and console games, as well as table top RPGs and wargames. This purpose doesn''t really apply to sports and boardgames, but some of the other ones I mentioned do.
quote:Original post by bishop_pass
Purpose of a game: To provide its designers endless hours of agony, torment, hair pulling, argumentation, disagreement over implemtation details, dreaming of a finished product which never materializes, the creation of ideas and workgroups which fizzle and die, and in general, a great deal of thinking and discussion and very little actual production.

wow someone''s getting bitter

nothing like those unreachable goals, huh?

...A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote:Original post by Nazrix

wow someone''s getting bitter

nothing like those unreachable goals, huh?

Bitter? No, just poking fun at the whole endeavor.
I must admit that it is a challenge... and can be very tedious, but that is what makes finishing all the more worthwhile
A game, just like a movie or a book, can have many purposes.It can be a game of humor, supposed to make you laugh ; it can be supposed to frighten you ; it can be supposed to make you think about something, etc etc.

Runemaster

"Coding is like building a house with molecules instead of bricks!" - Wavinator
"Damn, and I thought you were a cannibal..." -Selkrank, to dwarfsoft
"Romania, a quite large but totally unimportant country just outside Europe. Soccer, beer, no vampires." -Diodor
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
My purpose of creating a game (somewhere 20 years into the future) would be to finally get to play a game I really want to play.

I would design it in such a way that I''ll be able to play it forever. To achieve that, I would have to make the game hard enough to give me, the designer, a challenge.

I would of course need to design it in such a way that it''ll appeal to more players than just myself, so I can test my skills against them.

As I want to play the game forever, I''d have to create the game in such a way that the other players want to play the game forever as well.

(chances of me ever really creating a game? less than 1%. chances of me loving my game when I DO create it? 100%)
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement