Elements of Creativity

Started by
17 comments, last by bishop_pass 22 years, 9 months ago
Saying creativity is not intellectual is one of the most ludicrous statements I''ve read in a long time.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
Advertisement
Wait, I don''t want to get into a discussion about terminology. So let me try a different explanation.

Creativity, for me, is a type of synthesis - whether bringing together separate pieces in unusual ways, or just letting the subconsious produce someting ''new'' from the stew of experiences that reside in corners of my brainbox.

But the discussion here is analysis. Let''s take this method of synthesis and decompose it. This is an intellectual exercise (intellectual meaning left brained and logical, not intellectual meaning any use of the brain). Like I said, trying to capture sunlight in a shoebox.

What about revisions? Surely revisions require analysis! But this refining occurs after the creativity has occurred. You''re checking if idea is solid, and maybe focusing on the pieces that aren''t quite right, but that''s not being creative. That''s being critical. And yes, I recognize that being critical is necessary to produce a good product, but that doesn''t make it creative. If we wanted to discuss refining an idea we would focus on what makes a particular work good or bad, not how the work was conceived in the first place.

I honestly don''t see how a general analysis of creative synthesis is useful. What did they say in the other post? "You get to be a better writer by writing" I don''t think you get better by discussing what pencils to use.

These are just my opinions, though. Feel free to disagree or disregard.

JSwing
JSwing, why are you making the assumption that an analysis of creative synthesis here is for the purpose of getting better at creativity? That was the first mistake you made.

Not exactly my argument. My argument is that analysis of creative synthesis is pointless. Improving creativity is useful. Refining a creative work is useful, as would be discussions about methods of critque.

But I think that analysis of creative synthesis is an exercise in mental .. hang on, gotta think of a polite term... self-indulgence.

and that it''s unworthy of the talent here on the board.

JSwing
quote:Could creativity be defined as a change from the norm?

Maybe. But it''s not breaking the social norms, it''s about breaking the inner norms of a person. That is, you are being creative when having an idea that''s new for you, but maybe not for everybody.

Of course, that if you want to seem creative for the rest of the people, you have to try to go further, so that''s more difficult to find an idea that was first thought for anybody.

About the creative task, I''ve heard a lot of people saying that it''s just inspiration, or that ideas just come (including very known writters, and important people), but I don''t agree. Ideas are yours, they appear in your mind when you think on them.

Of course sometimes ideas come from an inesperated asociation, or event, but you can force that task by trying to think something in new terms, or from a new point of view.
--DK--H. Hernán Moraldohttp://www.hhm.com.ar/Sign up to the HHM's developers' newsletter.
JSwing....that''s a pretty sneaky argument. If we disagree with you, it''s like we''re saying that our choice to have this discussion points to us being less ''talented'' then you suggest.

Personally, I think any discussion of creativity is interesting, as long as it doesn''t rob one of their ability to be creative of course. But I see your point (or at least, what I take to be your point): creativity is a rather abstract concept and one can get bogged down in terminology without ever really scratching the surface of the issue.

R.
The driving force behind creativity is randomness. The "creative force" that some talk about so reverently is basically just a random number generator. However to be innovative you need more than just randomness. It requires a selector that can weed out the bad from the good.

A good example of how this works is in evolution. Evolution has come up with tons of great innovations to overcome problems. How does evolution work? You have genetic mutation that is the driving random number generator, and you have survival of the fittest as the Selector.

So the elements of creativity are: randomness and a selector to choose between the randomness.

I know people are going to say that's too simple, but really that's all there is.

Edited by - BriG on July 6, 2001 3:34:10 AM

Edited by - BriG on July 6, 2001 3:35:05 AM
That''s too simple.
The creative force, as generated by the human brain, may be based on an arcane and irrational system, but it is not random.

Another necessary ingredient for creativity, I think, is the ability to ignore the barrier between what''s real and what''s not real.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement