Browser turn based games. How?

Started by
3 comments, last by Intrawebs 15 years, 1 month ago
as a programmer in C++ and flash i recently turned to making some website in all CSS glory and feeling like im getting on with it pretty fast. I recently trowled the net just look for design things and found (well didnt find, ive played it before) projectrockstar. I then got to thinking on how you would go about making something like this. Im asking for a bit of help as the searching here and on google has directed me to a thousand "top online games" webrings and all that. Are there any books on this kind of thing what languages (im assuming java script, asp (dont know this)) Any sites out there exploring this im not one of those I want to create a game NOW people, as with my C++ and flash background even the simplest of ideas can take time. What im asking for is something to get my teeth into and carry out my research from there. thanks
Advertisement
usualy it is made with php.you can communicate between flash and the php server and transfer data between them :)
ops forgot to give you a link to something that might help you understand.
here :
http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=15712
well it is probably indeed php and flash, and using AJAX technology on the PHP side.
so php then will be the best thing to start looking at? Ok gonna get trawling now. thanks for the help, if you do come across any more things of this nature id love to hear of it. Thanks
Quote:Original post by DrPepperCorn
...projectrockstar. I then got to thinking on how you would go about making something like this.

Are there any books on this kind of thing
what languages (im assuming java script, asp (dont know this))
Any sites out there exploring this

Books, I doubt it. It's just a website. So books on website development (CRUD) would be a start. The only difference is some persistant game logic that runs at a set interval.

Languages? Correct, &#106avascript, asp.net and SQL. Essentially you need something on the client side (or not if you want to keep it real simple), then something on the server side for the web app, and something for the database. Research LAMP or ASP.net and MS SQL Server.

Any sites out there? Not sure, I would be specific in your Google searches on this, you might find something. "Persistent game world over http", "turn based http game technology (or framework)"

The tricky thing with this is making sure it scales. CRUD is easy....but the time necessary for the RU in the CRUD in the context of your game needing to update every x minutes is directly related to the quantity of players and the algorithms at run time. Make sure you have enough CPU/RAM on your game logic server, and make that an actual seperate server from the one serving the website.

The gamelogic server needs to retrieve the entire gamestate for everyone from the DB and essentially run a "turn" for the gamestate, and then update the DB. So you can see where that could be a long running task for the CPU and DB and of course you want it to finish quick enough where the players can still play the game before the next turn occurs.

I documented the hell out of a game like this I was going to build once, but never built it.

My Games
XNA Quicks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement