Final Fantasy 7 - Howd they do that?

Started by
5 comments, last by LordKaT 22 years, 9 months ago
Hey all, I know FF7 for the PC wasnt the best thing in the world but, Im curious.. how did they make the overworld map? I gather it was one big model, but getting it to loop? (Oh yeah, I -finally- figured out how to do this in 2d ) --LordKaT
Advertisement
Just an idea, but I believe they made border zones off the overworld minimap but still on the map. When the player landed in one, he was moved to the other one on the other side, etc. Make sense?
http://edropple.com
I bet they are using tiles.
So Its like having a big 2D World Map. The diffrence is it has height (got the point ?)
Help me with my Isometric OpenGL engine.
It looked to me like the map really was spherical...
No, the map was toroidal (donut-shaped), not spherical. The top wraps to the bottom and the left wraps to the right. On a spherical map, the top would wrap around to another point on the top, and likewise for the bottom. If you can imagine it, take the map, and roll the top around to the bottom to get a cylinder. Then, take the cylinder and wrap the left side around to the right, and you get a toroid.
If it was a toroid which I don''t believe it is, You wouldn''t be able to see the curvature of the planet from 2 directs. I just loaded it up again and it looks spehircal to me for sure.
Evil is Good
If it was a toroid which I don''t believe it is, You wouldn''t be able to see the curvature of the planet from 2 directs. I just loaded it up again and it looks spehircal to me for sure.
Evil is Good

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement