Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dashworth

Beginner Question?

dashworth    122
I have been programming eCommerce for about 6 years now and have started learning Direct 3d (C++ for about 7 months). I have gone thru all 6 of the tutorials of the SDK and have looked up things I dont understand. I can do some basic things now like loading in .x files, create simple meshes, etc (Everything the tutorials teach you). I have begun "Beginning Direct3d", but some things I feel arent explained well enough for me to be comfortable with. i.e. Matrices, quaternions, fog, particles, etc. I know I have more of the book to read, but those topics dont seem to be in there at least in enough detail. I want to understand engine basics. Things like: How do i add physics to an environment? How do I find more about matrices? What are good techniques for lighting meshes? What are good techniques for fog? Good techniques for collision detection? Things on those lines. I dont think I''m at a stopping point now, and I know it''s going to take hours and hours of exploration and repetition, but any good resources to minimize that would be appreciated Web links, books, ebooks. I''ve learned the hard way that bad resources cost me hours upon hours of additional work trying to understand and use the topics being discussed. Good resources speed up the process tremendously. I appreciate in advance anyone who takes the time to answer this. Thanks, David Ashworth

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
As far as collision detection goes, here are some links:

http://www.flipcode.com/tpractice/
http://nehe.gamedev.net/tutorials/lesson31.asp

NotTaxes    122
Started there and done that quite recently:-) good luck though, it''s a lot of fun and well worth it. I''ve been at it for about two months now and am starting to feel quite comfortable. For my two cents of help...

Adding physics to an environment: You don''t add them to the environment, you add them to each and every object, and then re-calculate their positions every frame according to the forces acting on them. Each object should have a current position, a movement vector and an acceleration(force) vector. Then every frame, for every object, you modify the movement vector by the acceleration and then the object''s position by the movement vector (and reduce/increase the acceleration according to friction, gravity, rocket-thrust... whatever).
Matrices are more mathematics than DX. I would suggest getting a high-school (or similar) book on the subject until it starts to make sense. Once you''ve got that sorted out then it''s just a question of figuring out how DX implements matrices and the functions that work with them (matrixmultiply, matrixadd, etc.). Matrices, in DX, are mostly to do with vertices (x,y,z co-ordinates/vectors) and you use them mostly to set up camera positions and to translate/rotate things around in 3d space.

The lighting, fogging and collision-detection stuff are all quite detailed (and I can''t just type it all out here because each method is a couple of tens of lines and there are at least three ways of doing each, with each way being better for certain game types). There are a lot of other posts on this site that deal specifically with each of those so... use the search facility and read up some.

I have plenty of talent and vision, I just don''''t give a damn.

dashworth    122
Thanks for the input. I found some more DirectX tutorials on DrunkenHyena.com and nexe.gamedev.net. I see the value of sites like gamedev and flipcode and many others on the web.

I think my book was confusing me alot more that I had to be. I was using Beginning Direct3d and it did show me some stuff, but I learned more, and more quickly, from the SDK.

My goal right now is to get the basic ideas down and move forward in difficulty. I have only been doing Direct3d for about 2 months, and I have definitely made progress, but I have been programming for years.

I know that it will take me alot of time. I wish there was a resource that walked me thru the basics, the math, and physics in a model that I could easily understand, but at least I can get piece fed from many places over the web. If I do get it down, I may write one some day. Thanks again for you time and information.