Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zennehoy

Looking for matrix tutorial

Does anyone know of a good tutorial on matricies? I am working in dx8, but I guess a previous version would work as well. THx.

This is something I''d be interested in as well. I know that D3dx has some helper functions that do some of the work for you..

i.e.: D3DXMatrixRotationX, D3DXMatrixRotationY and D3DXMatrixRotationZ, but I havent had a chance to use them yet. There is also a D3DX helper function for Quaternions, but I''m not sure what it is? (D3DXQuaternionRotationMatrix) I think.

I''d look these up in the SDK and see if that helps.

Of course my post was just about rotation, but in the SDK I''d look up D3DXMatrix and see what helper functions are available, otherwise I''d just check out a math book.

Dave

I have been using some of the d3dx helper functions, but they don''t help me at all when it comes to optimizing code and understanding what''s happening. I have a fairly good idea of how matrix math works (lots of tutorials on this at gamedev) , I just don''t know the syntax in d3d8. What are the matrix._41, matrix._40 etc supposed to mean?

Here is an example 4x4 matrix in colum/row form:

| |
| _11 _12 _13 _14 |
| _21 _22 _23 _24 |
| _31 _32 _33 _34 |
| _41 _42 _43 _44 |
| |

In the fomat D3DXMatrix uses, the first number represents the row, and the second number the colum. So, _32 is in the third row, second column.

Everything else you find out about matrices applies as well. Just know that that is a popular/standard way of representing matrix information.