Start with XNA? or OpenGL?

Started by
5 comments, last by MJP 15 years, 1 month ago
I was using Visual C++ 6.0 before, now I am using Visual C# instead. A couple of years ago, I found Managed DirectX and tried simple examples. But soon I came to know that XNA was used instead of it. I am confused because there are two language options, C++ & C#, and there are XNA and OpenGL. (I don't need XNA if I have OpenGL, is it right?) Then, which combination is good for making casual 2D games? C++ & XNA? C++ & OpenGL? C# & XNA? C# & OpenGL? Thanks for reading this confused question.
Advertisement
If you're just having fun making games, C# is probably the way to go. C++ will give you more headaches. My understanding is that XNA is a very easy to use framework for making games. OpenGL is more general and probably more troublesome for your purposes. The issues come with portability, etc. You're not going to be able to run an XNA/C# game on a mac.
For your other question:

C++ & XNA? -> Not doable, XNA is for C# only
C++ & OpenGL? -> Yes, all consoles (Except XBox), very hard
C# & XNA? -> Yes, Xbox and PC, very easy
C# & OpenGL? -> Doable, PC only.

Quote:
Then, which combination is good for making casual 2D games?

C# & XNA
Selling those casual games otoh...C++ & OpenGL/DX8.
Anthony Umfer
Quote:Original post by CadetUmfer
Selling those casual games otoh...C++ & OpenGL/DX8.

You can sell any game with any combination asked about (except C++ & XNA because its not doable)

C++ & OpenGL? PC/linux/some others
C# & XNA? PC/XBox 360
C# & OpenGL? PC/linux/some others

But to answer the OP, as said above, for casual games, C# & XNA is the way to go.
my blog contains ramblings and what I am up to programming wise.
I wouldn't say that OpenGL is very hard. For example: for me the DirectX is much harder actually. I have used OpenGL only for one month and now i love it.
Still alot to learn but for me it's easy library to work with.
Altough of course i have problems in my projects, but mainly they are not because of OpenGL, it's because of my knowledge, algos and such things. My knowledge isn't so powerful yet.
But as i work i always learn something new.

I can't tell you about XNA and C#, i don't like .NET, i never use it and probably will not ever use. So i can't talk about it's pros or cons.
If you're just learning and you're using windows, there's almost no reason to go with OpenGL. Its main (or perhaps only) benefit these days is that it's cross-platform.

XNA isn't at all bad choice for beginners, mostly because it has a nice framework to begin on, a decent community, and tons of great samples both on the Creator's Club site and elsewhere. Having the option to run your game on the 360 isn't bad to have, either.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement