Sign in to follow this  
Prune

OpenMP tasks not supported in VC++, what to do?

I need to use the OpenMP 3.0 #pragma omp task, but on an MS board I saw a post that they're not even planning to add OpenMP 3.0 in VC++ 2010! Using #pragma omp section instead is unsuitable due to scheduling issues--it only works well for very balanced loads. So what can I do? On Linux, where I'm deploying, I have no issue with gcc and Intel's compiler, but on Windows, where I'm doing most development, I can't really rely on Intel's compiler because it's too slow in building, compared to VC++. Plus, it was enough already paying for the Linux version of Intel C++. What to do?

There are windows ports of GCC, so that could be an option in the near future (from what i just read GCC does not fully support 3.0 yet.) Otherwise you'll have to wait for Microsoft to implement it if you want to use their compiler.

your choices:

a) don't use omp task
b) start using linux as your dev environment and give up on windows.
c) use intels thread building blocks
d) given that you don't need to deploy on windows, just install virtualbox into linux, install windows into it with VC++. Get both OS's to communicate via shared folders. That way you can use the editing features of VC, and use the xterm to compile and test everything in linux. Problem solved. (since your source can be located in a single shader folder - and both OS's can be running and accessing the files at the same time).
e) same as d, but install linux into virtual box on windows.