Sign in to follow this  
ICodeSharp

Managed Direct3D9 Wrapper Structuring Using C#

Hey, how is it going? I decided to go on a learning experience yesterday and create my own wrapper for Direct3D9 using only C#. So far I have wrapped the IDirect3D9 interface, most of the IDirect3DDevice9 interface, and which ever structures and enumerators I needed, basically copying straight from the header. Here is my problem though, I am wanting to create a framework similar to Microsoft XNA, for ease of use, but my code just looks, well plain ugly, compaired to Microsoft XNA. I was wondering If I should keep going, create the wrapper, and then implement a framework over top, utilizing the functions of Direct3D9, and just create my own methods, structures and enumerators simliar to Microsoft XNA, or should I Build it into my wrapper, for a more clean .NET feel. My only worry is being able to pass my own structures and enumerators into the Direct3D9 functions, without to much grief. I guess its not so much of a problem, since I've got it working and a device running, I was just wondering what are your opinions on this, since every other wrapper I know of is using CPP, not C#. Your ideas are welcome on how I should go about implementing my wrapper. Thanks. So far, the not so pretty and what I'm aiming for, just a look, might not be perfect, all my code is on my other PC.
IDirect3D9 direct3D9 = Direct3D.Direct3DCreate9(Direct3D.DIRECT3D_VERSION);

if(direct3D9 != null)
{
    try
    {
	IDirect3DDevice9 device;

D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS pParameters = new D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS();
	pParameters.Width = window.Width;
	pParameters.Height = window.Height;
	// ............

direct3D9.CreateDevice(Direct3D.D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE.D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, window.Handle,
            D3DCREATE.D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, ref pParameters, out device);
    }

catch(COMException cEx)
    {
	// check out the HRESULT and deal with it
    }
}

PresentParameters pParameters = new PresentParameters();
pParameters.Width = window.Width;
pParameters.Height = window.Height;
//.............

Device device = new Device(Adapter.Default, DeviceType.Hardware, window.Handle, pParameters);

For my enumerators, I could just allow the Direct3D9 functions to take the type int, and my structures, well just create a new instance of the D3D struct and copy my information over. Seems like extra overhead to me, but this way, I could create wrappers for OpenGL, Direct3D10, and so on and easily just include them into my framework, instead of integrating the framework into the wrapper. n00b! :D

Quote:
Original post by ICodeSharp
plus slimdx uses C++ for its wrapper, not C#.. :P
Yeah, there's a reason for that.

Have you considered using the COM RCW generator that's built into VS to get DX enabled in C#, and then worked from there? It might be a more productive approach. In any case, I subscribe to the approach of renaming everything to make sense in the managed world. (This may not be a big shock.) Otherwise, are you even doing anything that the machine generated COM RCW doesn't already do?