Sign in to follow this  

Mysql - Count issues

This topic is 3198 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, how's it going? I am having a problem with my count function. I want to return the number of results that the SQL Query would normally return. Here is my query (heh)
select count(*) as count
from account_info ai, resume_main rm, 
resume_data rd, user_details ud, 
search_resume_words w, search_resume_occurence o 
WHERE ai.A_ID = rm.A_ID and rd.R_ID = rm.R_ID and ud.A_ID = ai.A_ID 
and (w.word like '%violin%') and o.word_id = w.word_id and rm.R_ID = o.R_ID
The problem here is that, in my search_resume_words table, I have two entries - 1 is violin, the other is violinist. Now for some reason it counts both of those results as seperate entries (I've used group by rm.R_ID, rm.A_ID and so forth but nada.), where as the normal sql query (while exlucing count) would return only 1 entry (It is using the same where statements though) - but I have no way of counting that Of course if I remove like '%violin%' and just make it 'violin' it gives me the correct count of data returned from the tables. But, I dont want to limit my users search results Any suggestions what to do? I want an accurate search result count. *edit* HEH! Why is it when I post this up I find a solution ALMOST immediately?Little did I realise that PHP had a function called mysql_num_rows I had a sudden instinct to go through all the commands.. and whaddya know? *groans* Sorry if anyone was reading this and redesigned it all in the process XD haha

(i don't fully understand the problem, but) be careful with using count_rows. If you decide to do a LIMIT on the query, count_rows will only tell you how many rows came back from query, not how many records the query could have returned without the LIMIT.

Quote:
Original post by dimitri89
Now for some reason it counts both of those results as seperate entries (I've used group by rm.R_ID, rm.A_ID and so forth but nada.), where as the normal sql query (while exlucing count) would return only 1 entry (It is using the same where statements though)

Are you sure of that ? I mean without selecting a few columns and doing 'distinct'.

This topic is 3198 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.