• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sibelius

Nooby Question: Colors and Lighting

This topic is 3418 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Simple question. I have created a nice hemisphere with a specific coloring scheme, which renders nicely. However, when I turn on lighting all of the color goes away and I end up with a white hemisphere with shadow on it. Why is this? How do I remedy it? Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
Very sorry! I just figured this out. I don't have the knowledge to properly explain it, but anyone who runs into the same problem should know that the answer lies with manipulating the Material Properties of surfaces. The Redbook has a decent little section and there are tutorials aplenty once you know what to look for.

You can also use glEnable(GL_COLOR_MATERIAL). It's less flexible but suitable for simple apps (and makes things slightly simpler). Google will provide more information if you want it :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!