Sign in to follow this  
timlly

How can I texturing road in a terrain?

Hi everyone, Imagine you have a terrain mesh, with bumps and hills, etc. And you want to draw a concrete road on it. Do you actually just apply a concrete texture onto the terrain mesh? Or do you overlay a new "road" mesh thats essentially flat against the lower terrain, then texture that as concrete? If you have a good idea, send it to me please. Thanks.

yes, after looking that question, I can't find the way to resolve. So I post the same question again because of hurrying to get the answer. ^_^

Use the draping approach - generate geometry with appropriate texture coordinates on top of the terrain, and make sure it's far enough above the terrain to avoid z fighting. Try to blend out far away roads, where the z fighting would be worse. Increasing z buffer precision might improve the result further if needed. That's the easiest option for texturing roads.

If you're already using a blend-map for your terrain to do multi-texturing (grass, sand, dirt etc), it might also be an option to just make one of these textures a concrete one, so you can effectively 'paint' roads onto the terrain. If you want neat roadwork with detailed texturing & lines though, this approach is probably not the way to go.

Thanks all_names_taken, maybe your way is the same with crysis's texturing road. But it is hard to me to know how crysis can do that. Well, could you explain that?