Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oddly Enough

This topic is 6013 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, oddly enough, I have abandoned my Java Isometric Engine for the time being. The reason I''m doing so is because 1) Jeff K. has managed one hell of a start on one, and I''m going to be busy watching what he manages to do with that...and 2) I''m ramping up at work with dotNet a lot more and need to do some side work with C# and COM Interop (I''ve been working with dotNet since it''s early beta 1 release) and the DirectX8 lib seems as good a set of COM objects as any. Yes, I know all the arguments on using a language other than C++ for game engines (hell, I''m mainly a C++ programmer, so I''ve made them myself), however, since I have to spend some time each day playing with it, why not make a base set of framework classes to work with direct graphics. At least if I keep it CLR compliant, the VB guys will like me when they upgrade. Anyway, after I get the simple 2D tile map class working (in D3D) I''ll get an IsoMap class done. Nothing will really be done in any solid form until after this weekend, as I have a drop of code to QA coming tomorrow and I have a wedding to attend on Saturday. After that, things should calm down a bit and I''ll manage to get some time on this. In any case, all the code for this will be open-source, and I''ll post the URL when the first classes are available. If anyone is interested in the pro''s, con''s, caveats and optimization problems I run into while playing with this, I''ll be glad to give updates. I DO expect to use some unmanaged code for performance reasons. Eboz (aka Richard Ashkettle)