HLSL vertex shader debugging

Started by
2 comments, last by jollyjeffers 15 years, 1 month ago
Hi everyone! I'd like to debug a HLSL vertex shader. I'm using DX 9.0c and VS2005. At the moment I am working on an old ATI (but I am waiting for passing on a NVIDIA GTX 295 ;)). I know that I can't debug my vertex shader with VS2005 but I also know that I can use the DX SDK tool PIX for Windows. I tried to debug the shader using PIX: I succeed in capturing a single frame of my application but PIX crashes when I try to launch a vertex debugging either from the pixel history tab or from the mesh data view. Maybe it would be wrong the application building for use with PIX ... When I create the effect (with D3DXCreateEffectFromFile) I set the flag to D3DXSHADER_DEBUG | D3DXSHADER_SKIPOPTIMIZATION. I set the options /Zi and /Od in the configuration properties->C/C++ too ... I'll try also to use RenderMonkey (v1.81 and 1.80), but it crashes when I select or open rfx files! ... any idea or suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Unfortunately crashing is just one of the things PIX is good at doing. Are you using the latest version of the SDK? (November 2008)
I tried either with June 2008 or November 2008 SDK ...
Well a new SDK is due in a couple of weeks, so might be worth checking again then.

Unfortunately, as Matt said, PIX's new features tend to be "crashes less" rather than X360 that gets lots of shiny new toys [headshake]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement