Need a good tutorial

Started by
6 comments, last by Fussion289 15 years, 1 month ago
A year or two ago I bought the book Game Programming for Teens by Maneesh Sethi. I worked through all of it and understand pretty much everything you can do in BlitzBasic. Now I'd like to move on and learn either C++ or C#, probably the latter, which begs the question: do I go to Barnes & Noble and drop $50 on a published book to learn, or is there a comprehensive and reasonable quality tutorial out there? All the ones I've looked at are either confusing and require knowledge I don't have yet, or only cover concepts up to the "cout" command... So after all that rambling... If anyone could point me to a decent C# tutorial, I'd be ever so grateful.
Advertisement
Don't look down on information sources that only focus on console programming. The ideas they convey are usually applicable to any kind of application. When you are learning a new language, it is generally a good idea to stick to the console until you have a pretty good idea of what you are doing.
It's not that I don't appreciate learning to use the console, it's that many of the tutorials I've found are for absolute beginners, and I've found about a dozen tutorials that culminate in the "Hello, world!" exercise.
Try Bruce Eckel's Thinking In C++, which is like dropping $50 on a published book to learn, but without the $50.
oooh must look at that tut after I finish my Beginning C++ thorugh game programming Nice link btw. Also could you be a little clearer as to what type of book/tut you are looking for? You make hints in a secondary post that you wanted something more than hello world, like what? Actual windows forms? Interactive programs that use the basics of C++?
i don't think that learning a language through game programming is such a good idea.. that was one of my first mistakes a while ago, but it's your call
Einstein once said that only the universe and human stupidity are infinite. He wasn't too sure about the universe though...
Actually, learning c++ through game programming was a very good book, but using games to show how code works (Guess the number, hang man, etc). It's defiantly a good book to learn from.
it's actually very informitive I plan on getting the c++ book listed on the beginners page of books second from the top next. But it really finds a way to explain different aspects in a much more interactive method. And it doesn't use 12 big words in a row like some books I've seen. UG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement