Sign in to follow this  
Roziks_World

Should i be useing ID3DXFont?

Hello everyone, While experimenting i have written a little Terrain Editor. But now i would like to add a GUI to it. So i was going to implement a gui system next. Its going to be in directx and c++ but i was wondering how i should do fonts. so far for testing i used ID3DXFont but i am not sure if i can load special fonts with that interface so i was wondering if i should keep useing ID3DXFont or implement bitmap fonts or maybe use something else i didnt think about yet:-) If anyone had some hints for me it would be much apreciated! Thx a lot in advance!:-) Wolfgang

You can use any font with the ID3DXFont,those that are inside the windows font folder for example.
You can also add new fonts and use them with ID3DXFont.

AddFontResource("myNewFont.ttf");
SendMessage(HWND_BROADCAST,WM_FONTCHANGE, 0, 0 );

Then use "myNewFont.ttf" in the D3DXCreateFont call as the facename.

Well there's 2 main issues with ID3DXFont:

-Since it uses GDI to draw the text to a texture and draws it as a sprite, the computer running your app needs to have the font installed at runtime
-Also because of the fact that it uses GDI, it's not particularly fast

Pre-drawing fonts to textures and then using those at runtime can take care of those two issues. However you still need to watch out for copyright issues...

Quote:
Original post by MJP
-Since it uses GDI to draw the text to a texture and draws it as a sprite, the computer running your app needs to have the font installed at runtime
-Also because of the fact that it uses GDI, it's not particularly fast
The first can be addressed by using AddFontMemResourceEx to add a font that can then be used by ID3DXFont. That allows you to bundle the font with your app as a data file, or include it as a resource.
The second isn't entirely true - ID3DXFont renders glyphs to the alpha channel of 256x256 textures. Last time I checked, it doesn't make very good use of the texture (Doesn't pack the glyphs very well), and it locks the entire texture to add a single glyph (Instead of a small region). For rendering, it should be about as fast as you can get; it just submits sprites to the ID3DXFont you pass, which are then rendered as an indexed triangle list.

I made a Journal Entry a while ago about what it does in the innards - although bear in mind that it's all from a reasonably old SDK.

Thx guys for your hints.

As far as i can tell after what you guys wrote, it sounds as if its perfectly fine just to stay with ID3DXFont and use that for all my textual rendering.