Sign in to follow this  
icethelog

[Solved] Wierd rendering problem

Sorry that this is really vague but I am relatively new and have no idea what could be causing this in my engine (Direct x C++): Photobucket As you move around it flickers all over the place, and when moving the camera things appear "wrong". Ie you seem to be a different distances from a model than you actually are, strafing on the local z looks faster then local x (when it is not) etc. I know this is vague but it's my first go at making an engine and there's lots of classes and I wouldn't know what area to even start looking at. Does anybody know any areas of code I should be looking at / posting here that could be causing this to happen or even know the correct name for this effect? [Edited by - icethelog on March 12, 2009 9:39:18 PM]

This can be nearly anything. You should know when you changed something and saw that problem for the first time that it was the cause. Usually you use source control and can go back to see the modifications before/after the problem occurred.

I would say check your matrices if you see some distance/difference between axis problems. The bad rendering could also be caused by asking to render more vertices than what is in the buffer (vertex/index). Or shadow, if you use some.

You can also use application like PIX and NvPerfHud to debug your application and check everything at once.

I have now solved this, I have a function which sets the projections matrix in which I accidently converted the FOV parameter (in degrees) to radians twice before it was passed into D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I just checked all my major matrices to see if anything was wrong.

To be honest I would never suspect FOV would make the rendering look all messed up like this, but it was still kinda obvious with the camera problems I had. Shows how stupid I am lol.