[Tut ] How to portforward!!! (A contribute to society)

Started by
2 comments, last by jpetrie 15 years, 1 month ago
Hey, on the fact im new to these forums I'am going to assist some more people then myself. In this tutorial you will need the following real life items: Patience, Cereal, and Time. Lets begin. Step 1 1. Go to your start menu. 2. Inside your start menu, click "Run". 3. When the little rectangle pop's up, type in "cmd". excluding the quotation marks. 4. When this is typed in, a black screen should show up. Congratulations! You got passed step 1! Step 2 5. Type in "ipconfig" Once again, excluding the quotation marks. 6. It should stay black for a few seconds. Afterword's, it will have some line's of text in it. Now, look for the 1 that sais "Default Gateway". After thatt there should be a great number of periods then a number. (Ex. 192.168.1.1). 7. Type this number into your web browser. (Meaning, the place where you type in website's while using internet explorer or firefox.. (other browsers WILL work, I repeat, WILL work. Congratulations! You got passed step 2! Step 3 8. Now it asks for your username and password, the defaults for this are as followed: Username: admin Pass: admin Username: (filled in automatically) Pass: admin Username: admin Pass: Whatever you assigned over the phone / at the building. If none of these combinations work, I am sorry. But no fair! You can allways call up your internet service provider (ISP) and ask for this code just by giving them a little bit of information (To identify it is in fact the owner and not a hacker). 9. After you get in look for your settings (NOTE: It may not be in setting's so scout out the site until you find this). Look for Port mapping. 10. After your find this, click it. Step 3 Passed!!!! Congratulations!!! Step 4 11. Now there should be some boxes you can fill in then apply on this page. (but seeing as other router's may be different, this could require some extra clicking, maybe 2). 12. Interface is a bit confusing to you? No worries! I shall make this simpler for you. In this place you should see somthing like "Choose protocol" This is the place where you will be choosing what type of port your are going to forward. The choices are Tcp, Udp, Icmp, Gre (Icmp/Gre ARE ALMOST NEVER USED!!). So you probally wont be using them. Only Udp/Tcp. Next is (i think this is grammard wrong) the port boxes _____ - _____ (Thats the general shape). In these boxes you will choose the ports you want to forward. So if you need the port's 7475 - 7476 Type those in the space's provided and make sure you do it twice. (meaning make sure both are Udp and TCP) or the process may not work. The next empty box is your refference basically. This is the most important part I'd have to say. Make sure this box has your Default IP address (NOT YOUR GATEWAY). Oh, this is automatically filled in for most people! By the way, the port's 7475 / 7476 are useless port's. BAM!!!! You have passed all the steps. Congratulation's you have succesfully port-forwarded. If you do all that you should have port forwarded succesfully. I am trying to provide a screen shot right now but i do not know how to post them. Can anyone help? If you have any questions PLEASE dont be scared to ask, as i will do what i can. Hope this helped you!! Note: Port forwarding, for those of you who didnt know, could make your pc run smoother with the network of that device / game. This is especially efficient for playing mmorpg's. If you do this you should expect less lag in most games. If you wish to find a game's port's you should just google it. Simply put. Most game's have different port's for different part's of the server. So this might pose as a problem but its now avoidable because you can succesfully port forward! If you cannot find the port mapping / Forwarding area of your router, do not post this here. Just google it. Thankyou.
________________________"One cannot truely live until one has accepted death." - Unknown
Advertisement
OH!! before i get a million post's... If you wish to only port forward 1 port.. Make sure it is like 9999 - 9999. That is all.

If i helped + Rep me please.
________________________"One cannot truely live until one has accepted death." - Unknown
darkeye98, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I think this "tutorial" is a little misguided. The people who frequent this message board are typically developers and so most will already understand the process of port forwarding.

Having said that, there's a couple of corrections you might want to make:

Quote:Original post by darkeye98
If none of these combinations work, I am sorry. But no fair! You can allways
call up your internet service provider (ISP) and ask for this code just by
giving them a little bit of information (To identify it is in fact the owner
and not a hacker).

Your ISP does not know the username/password to your router.

Quote:
Note: Port forwarding, for those of you who didnt know, could make your pc run smoother with the network of that device / game. This is especially efficient for playing mmorpg's. If you do this you should expect less lag in most games. If you wish to find a game's port's you should just google it. Simply put. Most game's have different port's for different part's of the server. So this might pose as a problem but its now avoidable because you can succesfully port forward!

None of what you wrote in this paragraph is true.
This is not the place. Closed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement