Sign in to follow this  

Education Question

This topic is 3198 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know that this question must have been asked a million times but searching for the answers hasn't worked out so far. I am currently a senior in high school, I've applied to a couple colleges and was accepted and I am currently in the process of applying to DigiPen. Now I am torn between deciding to go to a regular college and get a BS in computer science or attend DigiPen to get the best education that i see out there for getting a job in the gaming industry. I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to get the computer science stuff down in a college and then go to digipen to get all the gaming stuff down.

It's not really a choice anyone else can make for you, but I can at least add my two cents. I decided to apply to a traditional college - the University of Southern California - instead of Digipen, and I was torn the exact same way as you are. This article (by the For Beginners moderator, in fact) helped clear up a few things. Mostly I chose USC because, not only does it have a great reputation (and it looks like it has good courses, though I haven't gone yet), but it's also near where I live. [grin]

This article by Tom Sloper also helped shape my decisions. Check both of those articles out. [smile]

~Jonathan

What do you mean by best?

It's hard to say. Personally, I think knowledge of a lot of other things are best for design purposes with general knowledge of how to do programming, art, business, and writing. That's because, quite frankly the game industry needs people who are able to tell stories and build worlds. Just looking at what has come out in recent years tells you that most of it is rehash garbage with 1 or 2 maybe new design ideas for the series. I think the industry right now and in the future is flooding with the people who can do the art and programming aspects, but it doesn't matter if you have those if you can't create a compelling story.

On the other hand, If you take the route of trying to get more the above knowledge you tend to lose opportunities and it takes longer. The main reason to go to college is for contacts in my opinion if you are just going to try to get a job. Doing that will get you in and get you experience, but then you'll have to have a job and try to improve on the other areas.

So in my opinion it depends on which you think you can handle and which you think is more important to you.

Also it depends on how much your willing to spend and do to get something that may not have much use beyond a few months after you get out of college... I mean seriously, once you get that first job in the industry, as i said in another thread that job should be on your resume before education and that education may be completely over looked.

Another thing to think about. Most people coming out of High school are not prepared for college. Digipen and most game/art colleges I know of have accelerated programs. If you're not ready for it and try to do it you could be dumping money down the toilet, money that you could spend on becoming better on your own at your own pace or getting something better together. Not saying you will, but from experience, even people love what their doing and are great at what they are doing in those colleges BEFORE going into them are prone to being burned out by the end and or dropping out due to not being ready for the load.

Quote:
Original post by Twisol
It's not really a choice anyone else can make for you, but I can at least add my two cents. I decided to apply to a traditional college - the University of Southern California - instead of Digipen, and I was torn the exact same way as you are. This article (by the For Beginners moderator, in fact) helped clear up a few things. Mostly I chose USC because, not only does it have a great reputation (and it looks like it has good courses, though I haven't gone yet), but it's also near where I live. [grin]

This article by Tom Sloper also helped shape my decisions. Check both of those articles out. [smile]

~Jonathan

Thanks for the articles, they helped and I think the best thing for me would be to go to my college, Wentworth Institute of Technology, and in my free time practice programming games on my own.

This topic is 3198 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.