win2000 / winMe / openGL

Started by
6 comments, last by penetrator 22 years, 9 months ago
my flight simulations runs quite smooth and i get 60fps with a 45.000+ triangles scene and all details 2x2 antialiasing (btw the computer is quite fast, it a Athlon 1.2 and a Geforce3). But only if i use windows2000 , i tried to run the sim on WinMe and i get at most 10 fps !!! of course i installed latest nvidia detonator drivers, latest via service pack, i set up agp 4x etc. , but nothing to do ! is it opengl support so bad on WinMe or i''m missing something ? i really hope i won''t have to start studying directX too ... ;-) glHorizon_Project

www.web-discovery.net

Advertisement
const unsigned char *glvendor = glGetString( GL_VENDOR );
const unsigned char *glrenderer = glGetString( GL_RENDERER );

Maybe the driver doesn't work with me or 2k, you could read the strings above and check wether opengl runs in software mode.

In general you should blame Mircosoft! me is the worst OS i ever saw.....

As far as I know my games work on both, 9x and me, but I only get BlueScreen with Me.

Edited by - TheMummy on July 1, 2001 4:20:02 PM
I personnaly have 98se/ME/2k on CD, but, whatever happens, you will only find win 98se on my computer

why are you guys going over 2k and millenium.

as long as microsoft is not going to rewrite 100% of the windows code, windows will only get worst with time

Lastest funny stuff is WinXP, awesome, you have to phone microsoft everytime you want to install it, and you have to give the reason for reinstalling it, if that''s no good reason, you have to buy your OS agais. Yeah, thanx microsoft for the good ideas.

I think I am still going to see good ol 98 for a long time on my computer (or I''ll switch to linux, and all my Win32API knowlege will be lost )
(you can find me on IRC : #opengl on undernet)
Personally i find win2k much much more stable than win98/se , especially when compiling and testing my programs ...

glHorizon_Project

www.web-discovery.net

Hi There,

Yes OpenGL does seem to have a fluctuating frame rate across the WinX platforms.

I''ve just finished work on a boned-facial project, which I developed under Win2K (because it is MUCH more stable to work on). When I tested it under 98 (same machine, split boot), I got a 33% frame rate BOOST ! Both setups where using the latest Creative drivers for my GeForce 2 DDR 32Mb card, so go figure !

Coupled with this : I play Quake 3 in a clan where the rest of them run under Win2K because it is FASTER for them than under Win98 !? The complete opposite of my setup (and I know most of them run GeForce cards). They do however, use the Detonator reference drivers - I''m just wondering if that is the problem ?

I''ve never managed to pin it down to anything yet. I''ve been over my code but that is pretty streamlined, accelerating when it can thru OpenGL > 1.0 e.g. display lists and quick texture gens.

Doesn''t help much I know, but just to say you''re not alone!

Damian (-*-)
Damian (-*-)www.smilie.com
Oy, and I thought I was the only one.

I''m running Win2K at work (which is where I post from), and the best I ever seem to be able to squeak out of this baby is 3.5fps. Might just be the OS *shrugs*

(Darn that Microsoft... )

~ Dragonus
i tought opengl would run better on Win2k than Win98/Me, at least for me, because i see lot of you guys have trouble on Win2K. I tought MS was pushing DirectX especially on Win98/Me , and that was the reason why Opengl was so slow on those operating system, but ... i''m missing something

glHorizon_Project

www.web-discovery.net

To tell you the truth, sometimes Windows 2000 is like magic.
About several times ago I made a really BAD 2D engine using ONLY Win32 Api Which runs amazingly SLOW in Windows 98/ME.

When I got Win2K I tested the game. Hard to belive I got a 10x speed boost.
Help me with my Isometric OpenGL engine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement