Advice about getting my programming degree(s)?

Started by
22 comments, last by puddinlover 15 years, 1 month ago
I'm graduating high school this year and I plan to go to a public college out of state that has a newer program (fully credited of course). It is a BA in Science for Simulation and Game Engineering. The course focuses on ALL aspects of game development (but mainly programming). You learn multiple languages at the same time and I guess that the course work is pretty hard. You also get to do some really cool things from creating your own OS to making multiple games for different platforms by yourself and in groups (you partner multiple times with the students in the BA of art for Simulation and Game modeling and what not). I'm mainly scared because a very large part of the course is spent learning math I never even heard of or came close to learning, the fact that the course keeps students busy with programming EVERY semester is very appealing to me since I'm not going to just get a degree. I'm going to get as much knowledge in programming as possible. The first class to graduate from the program was really small (guess most people did not make it to the end). Now I have 2 years of Computer Info Systems in high school (we did very basic programming) and I did not like it much (the class I think is what ruined it for me... just did not go well... was very "slow"). Programming it's self is something I think I should do. I have always been VERY computer savvy since I built my first pc with parts from around yard sales/garbage when I was 10. My passion for the computer field in general has filled up most of my youth. I never really thought about programming as a career till I thought more about myself. It's obvious I'm going to work with PC's but I just think that being a network admin (first plan) wont 1. make as much money (I know it's not a good reason but a factor for me) 2. I wont be pushing myself all the time to keep progressing like I would as a programmer 3. As a programmer I have the chance to CREATE which I love to give life to things and I love creating entertainment (weather films or games). Now I'm content not getting into game programming right out of college. I wouldn't mind software development either but game programming is where I want to end up (reason I'm taking game programming over software programming plus the software degree doesn't offer as much programming knowledge as the game degree does). Right now I'm creating small games and software to add to my portfolio and also get my juices flowing before college. NOW time for the twist! Long story short; my life has sucked and I'm not sure if I'm ready just yet to go off and pursue such a serious degree. I'm wondering if going to the local 2 year school would be a good choice (graduate in a little under 2 years) and they offer a programming thing which is geared at web development. It will be about 11k total after grants. Would it be smart to do this (learn web programming) than go and get my BA in simulation and game engineering (all oop)? Do you think getting the local school degree for 11k would be worth it in the long run (would open up programming jobs in web field, and I think they learn java). I do not really plan to be in the web programming field 10 years from now but I also wouldn't mind learning many different languages. I also think that it might help me get ready for my BA since it is a very hard step for me study/knowledge wise. I'm not really putting off my BA for "lazy" reasons. I want to make that clear (in short I haven't had a great life up to this point and I think if I go to a serious college now for my BA than I might bring my same "mood" with me which I know I wont be able to get anything done if I do). I think if I go first for the local school than I will be able to better prepare myself for my BA because when I take my BA I really want to be 100% focused and on top of things! Also a "option" might be to take the 2 year network admin degree and learn programming from the online courses they offer (you get certificates at the end) than go for my BA. I'm just not sure if the 11k in debt would be worth getting a small degree (also get the chance to take a few certifications like Microsoft and stuff for free while in the school; so that saves a little money and would fill the job app up with more stuff) and having more time before my BA to sort my life out? Serious advice is welcomed since this is a serious choice for me because the local school starts in June. To get the point across again... I'm not considering doing a local school first out of pure "laziness" it would be more so to get my life on track (it is very far off the track... has been for years), get my brain juices flowing, prepare myself for the work load the BA course will being with it, and to develop good study habits to carry over into my BA. [Edited by - puddinlover on March 14, 2009 5:20:22 AM]
-----------------------Check out my programming blog - http://CodeJustin.com
Advertisement
You should consider breaking that wall of bricks into a few more manageable paragraphs. It hurts just looking at it. O_o

~Jonathan
step 1 communication skills improvement...

step 2 will be revealed when step 1 has been achieved.
Fixed text, hope it is more readable.
Quote:Original post by Durakken
step 1 communication skills improvement...

step 2 will be revealed when step 1 has been achieved.

Agree!
No matter what choice you make you won't get very far with poor communication skills no matter how smart you are.
I suggest taking English and Speech courses at your local college if anything to improve your writing since I read your post like twice and still couldn't tell what you were trying to say?

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Details... which newly accredited out of state college? What issues do you have that lead you to believe that you won't do well going for a Bachelors?

In general, you should go for your bachelor's at the best school you can get into. Spending 4 years of cash now to increase your salary for 40 some years is a no-brainer baring exceptional circumstances.
guess my text is too poor for you to understand, just nevermind.

Was trying to ask if getting a degree in web programming before I go and get my BA in game programming is smart considering my situation.

Also the college is old but the program itself is new.
Quote:Original post by puddinlover
Was trying to ask if getting a degree in web programming before I go and get my BA in game programming is smart considering my situation.
Two BA's in succession? You don't want to do that - at best you are extending your study for considerable extra time.

Just go for that BA in simulation and engineering, or else a straight computer science or software engineering degree. Anything you might learn in web programming you can pick up in a week or two on your own, once you have honed your fundamental programming skills.

As far as difficulty, pretty much any technical degree is going to require hard work. If you are smart, and reasonably talented, it won't be anything you can't handle.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by puddinlover
guess my text is too poor for you to understand, just nevermind.

Also the college is old but the program itself is new.

Don't take it so hard I used to do the same thing all the time before I had to take the courses I mentioned where I was forced to cut down my sentence fragments,run-on sentences, and overall haphazard sentences - LOL!
Anyways, back on topic I agree with swiftcoder to go for that BA in simulation and engineering, or else a straight computer science or software engineering degree from a traditional college.
It will be tough going if your math is weak but you'll be in a way stronger position than fast-tracking it and going to a vocational or tech school.
If you graduate from a decent traditional school where you will be force to take linear algebra,differential equations, and discrete math not to mention data structures,etc web programming will be a walk in the park. Think we do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard :)
Let me put it this way one place I worked at I was like could I just do web programming and the main programmer was like we don't need to hire anyone fulltime to do that since I can easily do it. I assume it's like this at alot of companies. It's kinda like Python programming I guess. When people ask what book they should use and it's like so simple and straight forward that no book is really necessary...

[Edited by - daviangel on March 15, 2009 1:08:10 AM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Almost everything for web dev can be picked up in a few hours...

HTML is so easy and has so many tutorials out there that you really don't need to learn it.
CSS and &#106avascript are so close to C++/Java that if you understand either you'll understand CSS and &#106avascript.<br><br>And you don't even need to do those either as there are WYSIWYG apps so no real point in spending money &#111;n it. What you might do is just go get a certificate in it...costs like $50 at most community colleges if I remember correctly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement