Sign in to follow this  
l jsym l

So I realize.....but I have a question

Hey, i'm a complete beginner at c++ game programming. I have been reading a book for about a month to get the hang of it and I realize that Im sure im not far enough in and don't know enough about c++ Buuuuuuuuuuut, I was just curious how maps, 3d objects, story lines, all of this that are included in a game are programmed into it. Yes yes, I know its waaaaay over my head but I was just thinking and I'd like to know :) I have started practicing with my 3d modeling, which i am using blender 3d, I hope its a good one :) and I started to think of this question. If anyone has any information to this question and would like to solve my curiousity please feel free to do so :D Thanks, l jsym l

I am not quite sure what you're asking.

When you make a 3d model you create a file that stores information about all the vertexes for the model (I'm not too sure on what else, or the specifics) and then a program will read that data, understand where each vertex goes, and the connecting edges, and then can draw that model.

Maps are similar. A map editor will keep track of all the tiles, the heightmaps, the objects placed there, etc, and store it in a format. Then the game will read a map file, understand what everything means (what objects go where, what image is being rendered where, etc) and then the game can draw it.

I'm not sure if thats what youre asking.

well something like that. I was wondering like how them objects and maps got put into the actually 'programming' of a game

Crazyfool answered your question. If you want specifics then there are a ton of references out there for learning how to load a model, play its animations, etc. You can also look at other games and game engines to see how they handle such things, like Haaf's Game Engine.