Sign in to follow this  

Directx 10 Particle System

This topic is 3195 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has implemented a full particle system in directx 10 that ran completly on the GPU like the samples. In particular what is the performance hit on the GPU? Why not take advantage of the multi-core systems and have the particle/physics run in a seperate thread? Basically the latter is what I did when I ported my old dx9 particle sytem to dx10. Just curiouse and contemplating if I should go ahead and completly port it to a full GPU based system... It's just that, with shadow mapping, "glow" effects, enviornmnet mapping and other special effects, how much is left for a physics implementation on the GPU? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks

I have, and using geometry shaders + outputing to a vertex buffer and such is quite a performance hit (on older/slow DX10 hardware such as a 8400 it can get extremely slow for just the particle system itself). In my opinion it's more a proof of concept/example than a real solution...

I've not tried it myself, but from the comments I've heard I'd say Rewdew is spot on. Nice proof of concept, but not quite ready for prime time.

D3D11 has hardware tesselation, so the GPU's will have to be more capable in this context thus performance should be less sucky for this type of algorithm in the future.

hth
Jack

This topic is 3195 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.