Another engine design issue

Started by
3 comments, last by Krasshirsch 15 years, 1 month ago
Im currently compiling a list of all classes and their relations. Now I wonder what the advantages and disadvantages regarding the following scenemanagement are. Should I add entities to my scenenodes or just derive the class entity from scenenode ? On the one hand an entity isnt a really node, but these are semantics, on the other hand I dislike the thought not being able to transform my entity itself but rather the node its attached to. I think this complicates matters in an unnecessary way, does it not ? [Edited by - Krasshirsch on March 14, 2009 12:02:20 PM]
Advertisement
Well, it is really hard to say unless you describe what exactly is the difference between an entity and a node in your case.
The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know
Yeah, ur probably right,
a node is simply a node of the scenegraph
whilst the entity is a something u wish to display, like a model or a light.
What you're talking about is one big difference between Ogre and Irrlicht. Ogre has separate classes for scene nodes and entities, where entities simply represent a 3D object and scene nodes are actual objects in the scene, and in order to add a 3D object to the scene you must attach the entity to the scene node. However in Irrlicht a 3D Object IS a scene node - an IMeshSceneNode or IAnimatedMeshSceneNode. IMO Ogre's system is much better--I would do it like that if I were you--however I'd suggest taking a good look at how both do it and see which fits your needs more.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm aware of the possibilities, but each engine designer must have reasons to implement things a certain way. Since I do not have millenia of game dev experience and those reasons won't be revealed to me by simply going through Ogres API, it would be very helpful to know why one method is superior to the other.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement