Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grbrg

Good book...?

Is "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming" worth the money? Or do you have alternatives for learning Direct3d 8? Thanks for your opinions!

I am learning D3D myself, and I think there are good resources online. In my opinion, it isn''t worth getting a book, because for one thing, there isn''t much of a selection yet (specific to D3D 8), and for another, that stuff rapidly changes. I bought some books on DX (cost me some $80 at the time), and now they are outdated. Granted, I did learn important concepts from them, but SDK related stuff isn''t accurate anymore.

If you can cope without a book, try the following resources:
Drunken Hyena
Tutorials

Nexe Tutorials

These are excellent for the basics, and once you understand those, try reading through the SDK manual (the introductory stuff, and "Using DirectX Graphics"), and be sure to look up functions or concepts as needed, to supplement your learning.

Again, I would recommend walking through tutorials for the basics, and only buying a book for the more advanced topics (which you will arrive at soon enough if you dedicate yourself to learning the API).

A bit of a wierd suggestion - take a look at the red OpenGL book. It is very good at getting the concepts across and reading the SDK docs will probably make it easy to map the OpenGL stuff to the DX8 code. I wouldn''t have recommended this pre DX8, but now I think that the APIs are sorta similar.

I really like DX8, but I still think OpenGL is the easier one to start with.

grbrg: YES! Buy it as soon as possible. I just got the book and it''s excelent. You will really understand DirectX when you finish the book, as well as being ready to make some good 3D games. The only thing is there''s a great deal of typos (heard 1/page), but why cry over that. Online resources aren''t too bad, but they aren''t complete enough to learn well from IMO.

If you want furthurt information about what''s in the book, what it covers, etc. check out http://www.prima-tech.com/books/book/5199/942/

I have bought the book "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming", and so far it is pretty good. Altough Margins are huge, and text is bold, and there are alot of typos, who cares! It has helped me understand many of the basics, and I always find it nice to have a book to read as opposed to web pages because you can take books into the car your bed, etc. Web pages you must print out. Anyways.. I think it is overall worth the money, and if you buy it get it through amazon... I think... I got it for $35 as opposed to $50 + tax at local borders. Anyway thought I might help...

Zach Dwiel
Age 14