Sign in to follow this  
starstriker1

Writing a WYSIWYG tool

I'm currently in the process of rewriting a 2D skeletal animation system for my game. The previous implementation had an editor, built with C++ and HGE that did the job admirably, even if it was ugly as sin. However, I've decided to drastically expand the features on my animation system and this will require a much more sophisticated editing interface. My problem is that I'm constantly hitting a brick wall in getting an editor started. My goal here is to have an editor that allows me to play back and edit animations in the same interface, along with editing animation skeletons and skins. Writing it strictly in HGE is my fallback, but I'm not too fond of building an entire editor interface in it if I can avoid it. I'd like to learn how to make this editor professional and user friendly... and HGE just isn't designed for making GUI heavy windows apps. My current attempts are focused on leveraging Java's JNI and interfacing my native animation code with an interface constructed in Java (the only language so far that I've ever built a complex tool GUI with). However, aside from the huge pain in the ass JNI is proving to be and a general sense that using Java in this sense is a bit wrong headed, I'd like to look at other options. I've got Visual Studio .NET 2003, but no experience using the windows GUI in C++ or any experience at all with C#. I am not adverse to learning how to do those, though my free time is limited and I'd prefer to not have to spend a long time learning fundamentals for the time being. What approach would you recommend here?

Quote:
Original post by starstriker1
...The previous implementation had an editor, built with C++... ...with an interface constructed in Java (the only language so far that I've ever built a complex tool GUI with)... What approach would you recommend here?

C# should be a breeze to someone with C++ and Java experience, and creating the visual side of a GUI is pretty much literally point-click-drag.

Quote:
Original post by starstriker1
though my free time is limited and I'd prefer to not have to spend a long time learning fundamentals for the time being.

Learning C# won't take long based on your stated previous experience.